722 Remote / Sleep Problem

truecrimson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 9, 2008
North Alabama
I have recently upgraded my receiver and programming to HD (LOVE IT). With my upgrades I received a new VIP722. I am having a problem and I would like to see if I am alone, or if anybody else is experiencing the same thing.

When I leave the receiver off for a few hours and then try to turn it back on, it will not respond to either remote control unless I am within 2-4 inches of the receiver. After I get the receiver to come on by getting really close to it, it will continue to not respond or respond sluggishly for about another minute or two and then it will begin to react normally. I have tried both remotes, fresh batteries, etc... I have read that LCD TV's and Fluorescent lights can cause interference, but I have neither.

I finally called DISH and they sent me a new 722, but it is experiencing the exact same issue.

Set it to wake itself up begfore you get up in the morning.

I have mine set to update at the standard 3 am, but have creatd an Autotune DVR event to wake it up at 7 am and have set the inactivity standby to disabled.

I have had this problem, but mine occurs even after 722 has been on for a long time. I set up second remote, replaced all batteries. Getting very close to 722 does solve the problem, but I think that the signal being sent is weak, this confirmed by using my Harmony 880 from my normal viewing area, it always works, once I get response going with 880, the dish remotes will work.
Dan

I have recently upgraded my receiver and programming to HD (LOVE IT). With my upgrades I received a new VIP722. I am having a problem and I would like to see if I am alone, or if anybody else is experiencing the same thing.

When I leave the receiver off for a few hours and then try to turn it back on, it will not respond to either remote control unless I am within 2-4 inches of the receiver. After I get the receiver to come on by getting really close to it, it will continue to not respond or respond sluggishly for about another minute or two and then it will begin to react normally. I have tried both remotes, fresh batteries, etc... I have read that LCD TV's and Fluorescent lights can cause interference, but I have neither.

I finally called DISH and they sent me a new 722, but it is experiencing the exact same issue.
Infrared sigs can be interfered with in a few ways..DO you have your receiver behind a glass door....Is there a cable modem near your receiver?....Have you replaced the remote? IS there a wireless alarm system in your home? Wirelss router?

I have a wireless router about 5' from 722. What, short of moving the router, would help if it is interfering with IR signal?
Dan

I have a wireless router about 5' from 722. What, short of moving the router, would help if it is interfering with IR signal?
Dan
Try it..See what happens and post the result here.It is possible that the router is interfering with the remote. If possible move the router to a another room. But not in the room where TV2 is either......Oh...forgot to ask. Are you in a single family home or multi family dwelling? If and MDU there is possible interference from your neighbors unit.....

Infrared sigs can be interfered with in a few ways..DO you have your receiver behind a glass door....Is there a cable modem near your receiver?....Have you replaced the remote? IS there a wireless alarm system in your home? Wirelss router?

I do not have my receiver inside any type of case. It is sitting on top of my TV with nothing in front of it. I have a cable modem and wireless router but both are upstairs and my 722 is downstairs. I have tried three different remote controls (all DISH remotes) with the same results. The remotes will continue to operate my TV with no problem, so I know the signal is actually reaching the TV but nothing is happening on the 722.

After a couple of minutes the 722 starts responding normally, so I don't think it is an interference issue.

What kind of TV do you have near the receiver? I remember reading here about some TVs that would interfere with IR signals when they were first powered on. I don't remember which though, maybe the mention will jog someone's memory.

What kind of TV do you have near the receiver? I remember reading here about some TVs that would interfere with IR signals when they were first powered on. I don't remember which though, maybe the mention will jog someone's memory.

My TV is a Toshiba 65H81 TheaterWide Projection.

That is a good thought though. I will try to turn the receiver on before my TV to see if it makes a difference. I think I normally power on the TV first.

My TV is a Toshiba 65H81 TheaterWide Projection.

That is a good thought though. I will try to turn the receiver on before my TV to see if it makes a difference. I think I normally power on the TV first.

Well after a couple of days of testing, it makes no difference if I leave my TV off and try to turn on the receiver first. It still has the same problem. Nothing I can't live with, but very annoying.

If anybody else has a suggestion, I will definitely try it.

I called E* Tech support yesterday to order 21.0 remote, mentioned the the remote failure, he had not heard of problems like we are having, he said the router should not be a prob., as the remotes are IR. Tech when told that 3 different remotes failed to work said that it must me the sensor in the 722. He wanted to send out a repairman, I said no, as the prob. was not that bad at this time. He said that I should change the remote addresses, so I did.
Last night I set up a recording the red light came on. A few minutes later I went to DVR recordings and nothing was recording. When it was time to shut down for the night none of my remotes would do anything, not even at close range. So I turned the 722 off at the receiver, turned it back on and still no remote action.
I might have to lobby for a new 722 unless Dish comes up with a fix.
Dan

SOLVED ---- No more problems

I have found the problem with my remote controls. I have four Compact Fluorescent lights in the adjoining room to my Receiver. Since it is dark when I get home from work or when I wake up in the morning, I always turn these lights on.

With these lights off or warmed up for more than a couple of minutes everything works fine. With these lights on and in a warming up stage, remotes will not work.

I hope this helps somebody else in the future.

Interesting, I have a 6500k fluorescent backlight behind my plasma , which is about 3 feet above my 722. I'll keep a check on this. I only turn that light on when it gets dark, and if I recall, my remote fails only at night.
Dan

Before I retired I was the maintenance manager at a large hospital, in an energy conservation move we retrofitted all the fluorescent lights in surgery to an electronic ballast and energy saving tubes, the operating room tables were ones that could be positioned using a ir remote, after the retrofit none of the tables would operate remotely if the lights were on, in this case the culprit was the ballast

Bob

Ok, I tested the backlight and it disabled my 722 remote, the Harmony 880 still works, I just received my new Dish 21.0 remote, this is still working with the backlight on.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)