722 scanning cable channels

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
I just moved and am getting cable Internet (no more WildBlue :D)and the basic TV package to get more local HD, In the HD res setting area of the 722 you can choose ; Ant, Cable, HRC, IRC, I assumed I could scan the Cable signal just like I scan with an off air ant. When I set it to cable it scans up to chan 99 instead of 69, but it won't lock on to any of the digital channels. My TV will pick up the HD locals but the 722 won't, any idea why?

Brad

input vs output

I just moved and am getting cable Internet (no more WildBlue :D)and the basic TV package to get more local HD, In the HD res setting area of the 722 you can choose ; Ant, Cable, HRC, IRC, I assumed I could scan the Cable signal just like I scan with an off air ant. When I set it to cable it scans up to chan 99 instead of 69, but it won't lock on to any of the digital channels. My TV will pick up the HD locals but the 722 won't, any idea why?

Brad

The 722 doesn't have a cable (QAM) tuner. the cable setting is for the output to TV 2 on the input. Your 722 only will accept OTA digital signals.

The 722 doesn't have a cable (QAM) tuner. the cable setting is for the output to TV 2 on the input. Your 722 only will accept OTA digital signals.

This setting (menu, 6, 8, left column) isn't the one for TV 2 output (menu, 6, 1, 5) and when you change it from air to cable (or HRC, IRC), the "scan local chan" option (menu, 6, 9) changes from scanning chan 2-69 to scanning 2-99. So it definitely has an affect on that. Why would it give you the option to set it to cable if it can't tune cable chans? Also why would it scan to chan 99 if it can only see up to 69?

Brad

Yes it's..

to bad Dish does not come out with a receiver with a QAM tuner in it:confused:.
I don't understand why as there are alot of folks in the same situation as you and me! I have Dish but also have basic cable for locals (that will never be on dish)
but have no ability to record the "QAM" local network HD channels that I can pickup using my TV tuner. It is fustrating and if they came out with such a beast I would buy one in a heartbeat!!! As cable adds more and more HD channels to there lineup it is going to get increasingly difficult to stay with dish w/o a way of recording local HD channels (are you listening dish?)
Gerry

It actually does scan for cable channels but it is looking for ATSC cable channels (probably non-existant) instead of QAM.

"Dish" is a satellite company, with an inherent interest in doing nothing to foster cable. Hence, we have Echostar as a separate company. Which has spawned rumors that a cable version of the ViP722 may be on the way. I wonder. Adding QAM would be a limited use. CableCard enabled?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)