722 slow response, then reboot

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikbro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I just got dish installed last Wednesday and got a 722 (as I requested). I am in the Seattle area and the installer installed two dishes, 1 for 110 and 119 and one for 129 (24").

I have three issues...

1. When mucking around with the DVR timers (I have about 30 now) I occasionally peg it and the receiver becomes non responsive. It takes about a minute to respond to remote commands and in some cases it just reboots. After rebooting it goes about acquiring signal and eventually comes back fully operational.

2. From what I hear 129 is a tough bird to receive. With the dedicated dish, what kind of signal strength range should I expect on a properly peaked dish for this area (Seattle/Pacific NW)? I have the latest FW 442 so I have the "updated" signal strength meter. FYI I get ~50-60 when clear, and I lost signal on 129 over the weekend when it was raining Sunday morning and the signal dove to <10 on some transponders on 129 (110 and 119 appeared fine though slightly lower ss - in the 50-60 range).

3. The installer was very professional and appeared to do a good job (high on roof install). I made the mistake of plugging in the 722 while he was installing peaking the dishes which caused it to install the latest fw before he could peak the dishes. In my defense he didn't say not to plug it in :rolleyes:. So when he gets in he says the receiver might be hosed because of the update and that he has a particular set of steps he goes through etc. My question - I thought these receivers were a little better than this now (had dish years ago and had many problems w/the old dishplayer) are they really that flaky? Anyway - I have a feeling if I need him to come back and replace my 722 because of issue #1 he will blame this :mad:.

One final thing - the installer wants me to call him directly if I have any problems... seems he gets dinged if I call dish and have to setup a return visit for something. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Mike

I just got dish installed last Wednesday and got a 722 (as I requested). I am in the Seattle area and the installer installed two dishes, 1 for 110 and 119 and one for 129 (24").

I have three issues...

1. When mucking around with the DVR timers (I have about 30 now) I occasionally peg it and the receiver becomes non responsive. It takes about a minute to respond to remote commands and in some cases it just reboots. After rebooting it goes about acquiring signal and eventually comes back fully operational.

2. From what I hear 129 is a tough bird to receive. With the dedicated dish, what kind of signal strength range should I expect on a properly peaked dish for this area (Seattle/Pacific NW)? I have the latest FW 442 so I have the "updated" signal strength meter. FYI I get ~50-60 when clear, and I lost signal on 129 over the weekend when it was raining Sunday morning and the signal dove to <10 on some transponders on 129 (110 and 119 appeared fine though slightly lower ss - in the 50-60 range).
We are having problems with 722' and 622'....I had two that would not work last Sat(8/25..Bith had audio failures..Today the 622 I installed had signal loss issues..I had to run check switch three times before it would work...We believe the problem lies with initial software download .....The 722 is a 622 with a larger hard drive...Personally I don't want any more of these jobs until Dish gets this software issue straightened out..I can't spend 5 1/2 hours on a job lke I did today..

3. The installer was very professional and appeared to do a good job (high on roof install). I made the mistake of plugging in the 722 while he was installing peaking the dishes which caused it to install the latest fw before he could peak the dishes. In my defense he didn't say not to plug it in :rolleyes:. So when he gets in he says the receiver might be hosed because of the update and that he has a particular set of steps he goes through etc. My question - I thought these receivers were a little better than this now (had dish years ago and had many problems w/the old dishplayer) are they really that flaky? Anyway - I have a feeling if I need him to come back and replace my 722 because of issue #1 he will blame this :mad:.

One final thing - the installer wants me to call him directly if I have any problems... seems he gets dinged if I call dish and have to setup a return visit for something. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Mike
last thing first..Yes it is true..Dish has a system of keeping stats..The tech is trying to avoid the "trouble call"..This is a non pay service call that counts against the employer of the tech and tech as well...When we install we urge the customer to plaese call us if there are any problems..We will come and fix what is wrong..If the customer calls Dish, they issue a trouble call and route the job back the company that installed the job or the last company there. Whichever applies..We are pleased to stand behind our work..Most times when we get these toruble calls, it is usually for faulty EQ..Not anyone's fault but the policies don't see it that way..It's crap .But it's Dish's ball game and they make the rules.

never call that installer personally.. dish has a 90 warranty.. use it... 129 on a single 500 dish on its bad day gives a higher signal than a 1000 or 1000.2.. on a 1000 in our area, signal on 129 is in the 75-85 on a 500 we have hit 108 signal (mod signal of 68) ... and slow responce is usually a nuked receiver.. but not always

never call that installer personally.. dish has a 90 warranty.. use it... 129 on a single 500 dish on its bad day gives a higher signal than a 1000 or 1000.2.. on a 1000 in our area, signal on 129 is in the 75-85 on a 500 we have hit 108 signal (mod signal of 68) ... and slow responce is usually a nuked receiver.. but not always

"never call that installer personally.. ".....HUH?!!!!!....Why not?...

Indeed. The installer has given his personal warranty. Doesn't sound like the type that generates the complaints we read about. If there's still a problem, then you can invoke the Dish warranty.

On my 722 replay of MSNBC program, hit a spot and it completely hangs and then reboots with no other activity. Repeatable at the same spot in the recording. I've see this many times on the 622 and is usually associated with doing several things or a recording starting. There seem to be some bad stops in the recordings.

The dish programmers have got to make it accept ANY data and skip as needed but NEVER reboot and take out all activity for 5 minutes.

-Ken

As an installer I Would hope my CX would call me first if there was a problem. The CSR's at the call center are either good or realy BAD. If you want someone reading a script to you, call the 800 if you want the tech who should know what he/she is doing call them. They know your system, and you that means alot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts