722 Startup Issues...

GNASH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Between Kalamazoo & GR. MI
Hi all,

I just got a report from my parents that our 722 is starting to act up and wanted to get some input from anyone else who has seen the issue and to find out if this is an isolated issue.

They told me this evening that it has been very difficult to get the 722 to power on in the morning (after the overnight reboot). Dad clarified the issue some when he stated that when he goes to power on the receiver using the remote 2 (in their bedroom), that it will not turn on. He has had to go out to the front room and turn it on with Remote 1 or the front panel. He stated that this has just started happening this week. Once the receiver is on in the morning, we have no more issues with it until the next day.

When they initially mentioned it, I thought it might be related to a firmware update, but we still have L448 on the 722. Has anyone else been having problems with Remote 2 not powering the 722 on in the morning??? Does this sound like the receiver might be dying or is something else going on???

Thanks,
Geoff

Hi all,

I just got a report from my parents that our 722 is starting to act up and wanted to get some input from anyone else who has seen the issue and to find out if this is an isolated issue.

They told me this evening that it has been very difficult to get the 722 to power on in the morning (after the overnight reboot). Dad clarified the issue some when he stated that when he goes to power on the receiver using the remote 2 (in their bedroom), that it will not turn on. He has had to go out to the front room and turn it on with Remote 1 or the front panel. He stated that this has just started happening this week. Once the receiver is on in the morning, we have no more issues with it until the next day.

When they initially mentioned it, I thought it might be related to a firmware update, but we still have L448 on the 722. Has anyone else been having problems with Remote 2 not powering the 722 on in the morning??? Does this sound like the receiver might be dying or is something else going on???

Thanks,
Geoff
Remote 2 batteries?

Haven't replaced them (I will try that but I suspect something else). Reason I think something else is that dad said once it is on, channels switch fine. Seems like if it were a battery problem, it would act up at other times.

Any other thoughts???

Geoff
As an update to the situation, tonight about 7:00, the receiver locked up (both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2). This leads me to believe it is a dying 722, rather than an issolated issue.

Immediately when it locked up, we called the Tech Support Number to complain about both issues. The Tech Support Rep had me change the Remote Address for Tuner 2 to 14, thinking that may solve the issues (the receiver locking up and not powering on in the mornings). I don't believe this will solve it, so we will probably be calling them back in the mornings.

Any other ideas would definitely be appreciated, as the TSR didn't seem to have any idea what could be causing it, and with it being a thing isolated to the mornings, it may be hard to get it to replicate while I have them on the phone to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Geoff

As an update to the situation, tonight about 7:00, the receiver locked up (both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2). This leads me to believe it is a dying 722, rather than an isolated issue.

Immediately when it locked up, we called the Tech Support Number to complain about both issues. The Tech Support Rep had me change the Remote Address for Tuner 2 to 14, thinking that may solve the issues (the receiver locking up and not powering on in the mornings). I don't believe this will solve it, so we will probably be calling them back in the mornings.

Any other ideas would definitely be appreciated, as the TSR didn't seem to have any idea what could be causing it, and with it being a thing isolated to the mornings, it may be hard to get it to replicate while I have them on the phone to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Geoff

Geoff, any update? Still having troubles?

Geoff, any update? Still having troubles?

Receiver is still acting up in the mornings (the remote still will not turn on the 722. We have not had any more lockups after it is on, and since dad leaves for work way before anyone else gets up, we have not call Tech Support in the morning.

I may have him wake me up before he turns the TV on so that I can call Tech Support while we are having the issue.

Geoff

I know this sounds stupid ,but do you have an rf antenna hooked up for your remote on your receiver? THe little silver one that comes with the receiver. If this isn't hooked up or is blocked due to being covered in a deep cabinet , it can interfer with the signal from the remote control. You sometimes have to hook up a coax to your rf antenna and then hook the rf antenna to it and put it up higher so that the remote can hit it with the signal.

I know this sounds stupid ,but do you have an rf antenna hooked up for your remote on your receiver? THe little silver one that comes with the receiver. If this isn't hooked up or is blocked due to being covered in a deep cabinet , it can interfer with the signal from the remote control. You sometimes have to hook up a coax to your rf antenna and then hook the rf antenna to it and put it up higher so that the remote can hit it with the signal.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have the antenna hooked up and it is not far from the receiver, so I don't believe that is the issue (we had the issue on our 625 with the remote and did move the antenna). Also, the really strange thing about this is it only occurs when they first try to turn the receiver on in the morning. Once the receiver is on (using the front panel buttons), the RF remote works fine.

Geoff

Update on Friday, March 7, 2008...

Hi all,

I got up this morning to see if we could walk through this with a Tech Support Rep. I woke up and pushed power on Remote 1 and got what appeared as no response from the remote. Called the 888 number for tech support and while I was going through the menus to get to Tech Support (probably about a minute or two), all of a sudden the receiver popped on and had the "Screen Saver" Screen (a screen that has the Dish Network Logo and says "Press Select to Watch TV"). Pressing select did bring up TV on both TVs.

Things that have changed:
1) Mom cleared programming that she had watched from the DVR (giving somewhere over 100 hours of SD programming that can be recorded before the disk is full).

2) I gave it a lot of time (was not going to push anything on the front panel until I got a person on the phone and then only when they said I had to).

3) Used TV1 remote to begin the operation (normally dad turns on the TV in his room and then the Front Room TV gets turned on later). I hadn't made it into their room, but I may try that tomorrow to see if it just takes a while like today.

I am beginning to think this issue may just be an issue of the 722 receiver (or at least our 722) gives no response when the Power Button is pressed until after it does some kind of self check. After pressing the power button, it was at least a minute, if not longer, before I got any kind of signal from the receiver (either a startup screen or lights on the front panel of the receiver). Does anyone else notice a lag in how long the 722 (or 622) takes for it to "acknowledge" that the power is on???

Geoff

Hi all,

I got up this morning to see if we could walk through this with a Tech Support Rep. I woke up and pushed power on Remote 1 and got what appeared as no response from the remote. Called the 888 number for tech support and while I was going through the menus to get to Tech Support (probably about a minute or two), all of a sudden the receiver popped on and had the "Screen Saver" Screen (a screen that has the Dish Network Logo and says "Press Select to Watch TV"). Pressing select did bring up TV on both TVs.

Things that have changed:
1) Mom cleared programming that she had watched from the DVR (giving somewhere over 100 hours of SD programming that can be recorded before the disk is full).

2) I gave it a lot of time (was not going to push anything on the front panel until I got a person on the phone and then only when they said I had to).

3) Used TV1 remote to begin the operation (normally dad turns on the TV in his room and then the Front Room TV gets turned on later). I hadn't made it into their room, but I may try that tomorrow to see if it just takes a while like today.

I am beginning to think this issue may just be an issue of the 722 receiver (or at least our 722) gives no response when the Power Button is pressed until after it does some kind of self check. After pressing the power button, it was at least a minute, if not longer, before I got any kind of signal from the receiver (either a startup screen or lights on the front panel of the receiver). Does anyone else notice a lag in how long the 722 (or 622) takes for it to "acknowledge" that the power is on???

Geoff

All my DVRs have no lag time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)