722 suffered a hard drive failure, dish replacing, but with what?

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
My 722 suffered a hard drive failure. Tried to resusitate it but nothing worked. It had been screwing up while recording for about a week, so pretty sure the drive was failing and finally died.

Called Dish this morning and they are replacing it. But with what I wonder?
They tech couldn't guarantee whether it'll be with another 722 or a 722k.

Wouldn't mind a 722k, as we record OTA a lot, but I don't have a module for it.

Anyone have any idea if they'll replace with another 722 or a 722k or if it's just a crapshot on what I get?

Either way, the wife is pissed as we had a lot of shows on there that hadn't been watched, including last night's NCIS's premieres.
I guess Hulu, Netflix, and possibly torrent will be busy for the next week or so.

Unless things have changed, you will get an exact replacement...a 722.

If the installer only has 722k's on his truck, thats what you'll get. If you do get a "k", call dish and tell them you now can't record OTA like you used too and they should give you an OTA module no charge. If they say no, escalate it up the chain, or contact a DIRT member here.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'd give them a call. No way I'd accept a 622, for a failed 722.

I'd give them a call. No way I'd accept a 622, for a failed 722.
I'm on the phone with them now. The girl is calling UPS to stop the shipment and send then me out another 722 instead.

I complained, especially since I was forced to take the leased 722 in exchange for my owned 942.

Worst part is, now we'll be without the DVR for another couple of days.

Advance tech support now tells me the R00 number crosses to a 722, so the My Equipment page is wrong. We'll see what happens when it shows up tomorrow.
Luckily the advance girl gave me her extention in case a 622 does show.

Last edited:
My original 722 finally failed about 3 weeks ago and they shipped me another 722. Check the return label. They shipped it to me ups and i didn't pay attention and just slapped the return label on and went to the ups store up the street. Problem the return label was for FedEx:doh:.

Have you tried the old xbox red-ring trick and wrap a towel around your 722. Kept mine alive for a few more days

Have you tried the old xbox red-ring trick and wrap a towel around your 722. Kept mine alive for a few more days
I blew cold air into it with a fan, every hard reset it says the drive failed.
I'm not too concerned. The only reason I'd want it to run is to get stuff off the internal drive and put it on the external. But I can always get those shows another way.

If the installer only has 722k's on his truck, thats what you'll get. If you do get a "k", call dish and tell them you now can't record OTA like you used too and they should give you an OTA module no charge. If they say no, escalate it up the chain, or contact a DIRT member here.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's what I did. At first they gave me a hard time, but I was able to get them to send me one - although it doesn't work!

My 9-month old 722 hd failed last week. Called Dish and then sent out a replacement 722 within 3 days. Hooked it up, activated it via phone (online activation was down) and it's working great.

Just signed back up with Dish after a 3 yr hiatus. Received a 722 and it died after the first day. They shipped me another 722 and so far so good.

Got my 722 replacement. It was another 722, so I'm happy.

Was wierd that they shipped UPS but the return label is Fedex. So sometime this week I have to carry myself to a Fedex ground dropoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)