722 TV#2 under IR control??

snowdall

Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I think I remember hearing that this might be on the way. Is there a way to control TV#2 on the VIP722 using IR only? I am setting up my home with a Control4 home automation system and it sorta defeats the purpose to have yet ANOTHER remote for the sat receiver.

On a similar note, is there anyway to control the VIP722 via IP?

Snowdall

You can connect a sling box for control over the internet. Would not control tuner 2 unless in single user mode.

I think I remember hearing that this might be on the way. Is there a way to control TV#2 on the VIP722 using IR only? I am setting up my home with a Control4 home automation system and it sorta defeats the purpose to have yet ANOTHER remote for the sat receiver.

On a similar note, is there anyway to control the VIP722 via IP?

Snowdall

Dish announced a "TV2 to IR Converter" a year ago, and have been saying since September of last year that it is coming "soon". Will they ever actually deliver it? Not clear. Here is another thread on this topic:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...k-tuner-2-via-ir.html?highlight=tv2+converter

Oh goodie .... more waiting on Dishnet. This is starting to become a really important issue. I might have to give them a call and beg.

Snowdall

The sad thing is DISH could give us the functionality without any hardware at all. They could easily make a small code change so that TV1 address code 16 would instead control TV2. 99.99% of all casual users would be unaffected by this change (and there would still be 15 other address codes for TV1) while at the same time many other users could finally get what the want: the ability to control TV2 via IR. Too bad DISH is too ignorant or cheap to do this...

Well, I assume these are just linux boxes on the inside. I'd be half tempted to crack the thing open a poke around if it weren't for the chance of messing the thing up. Anyone ever gotten into one of these units?

Snowdall

Well, I assume these are just linux boxes on the inside. I'd be half tempted to crack the thing open a poke around if it weren't for the chance of messing the thing up. Anyone ever gotten into one of these units?

Snowdall

Then the next time dish pushed out an update, it would either wipe out your mods or completely crash the whole receiver.

I might be interested as well...but I'm still hacked DISH didn't just had a few lines of code to their next software release instead of making us buy unneeded hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)