722 - TV2 Modulated Out Problem

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
When I try to connect the TV2 modulated out to my home network, the signal I get at TV2 is very weak and has lots of snow.
If I use a separate RG6 to TV2 the signal looks great. I've used channel 60 and also lower numbers with no improvement in signal quality.

My home network starts with a VHF/UHF antenna in the attic, its connected to a three way splitter that goes to several parts of the house. One of these runs goes to the 722 and my TV1 Sony monitor. The OTA digital on the 722 and the OTA analog on the Sony both look great, and the signal levels on the 722 run 96-100% (no amps). The analog from the antenna also looks great on TV2.

Is the modulated signal from the 722 trying to go back out of the attic antenna? Should I replace my splitters with something better (currently RCA brand). The home network seems fine for the signals from the antenna, but the modulated signal from the 722 looks very bad when it goes through the network.

Any advice is appreciated.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Are you combining OTA and the TV2 output? If so you could try changing the channel for the TV2 output.

BTW, you're broadcasting your TV2 signal with your antenna if you're combining them both. Use a separate run and you should be OK.

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for the response.

Are you combining OTA and the TV2 output?
Yes

If so you could try changing the channel for the TV2 output.
I've tried them all.

BTW, you're broadcasting your TV2 signal with your antenna if you're combining them both.
I was afraid that was happening, is there a splitter that would allow input from the antenna but not allow a signal back the other way?

Use a separate run and you should be OK.
Yes a separate run works fine but I'd rather not have a coax switch on TV2 if I want to watch OTA analog (from the antenna) on that set. I thought the whole point of the modulated out was being able to use the home network to provide TV2 output on any set in the house. I guess if you aren't using OTA (former Cable customer) or had a direct run from the antenna to the 722 this would not be a problem. My network was originally wired for an "OTA only" setup however.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
"Yes a separate run works fine but I'd rather not have a coax switch on TV2 if I want to watch OTA analog (from the antenna) on that set. I thought the whole point of the modulated out was being able to use the home network to provide TV2 output on any set in the house. I guess if you aren't using OTA (former Cable customer) or had a direct run from the antenna to the 722 this would not be a problem. My network was originally wired for an "OTA only" setup however."

The problem is that you're combining two sources that may have the same frequencies and they're killing each other. There's something called a Super Node Home for what you're trying to do.

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample4.pdf

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
One thing I've run into is problems caused by a big mis-match in signal strengths. If your OTA signal is amplified too much the AGC of the target TVs will reduce the gain such that a weaker Dish modulated signal will be snowy.

That Super Node Home could be a great solution but I haven't see any reviews of how well it works with mis-matched inputs.

In a temp hook up I had a few weeks ago where analog OTA and 622 were combined, each signal was crystal clear at the TV but when they were combined there was a small but noticeable amount of herringbone on both signals and all channels. Never found the cause and I tried new cable, new and different 1 gig splitter/combiners and two different amps and it never varied.

Whenever I look for advice on these kinds a problems one theme from the pros is consistant: Use the best equipment you can get. Radioshack and Home Depot stuff will often fall short of your expectations.

Then again it sometimes just seems like voodoo to me.

If everything else fails, sacrifice a chicken during the next full moon.

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Do a search for a Channelplus model H838HHR Video hub. I have been using one for a couple of years now. It has a separate input for antenna/cable and 2 other modulated inputs. It combines them and distributes them out to other outlets in the network. Keep a good surge protector on it. It will blow out one of the inputs if the power cycles a lot. I went through 2 because of constant power outages due to some construction in the area.

rcdallas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2006
West Texas (midland)
It's hit and miss trying to do what your doing with what your using. I've installed quite a few and like I said it's hit in miss, super home node is actually what you need for what your doing basing it on the results that your getting.

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2007
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that 2 way splitters have much higher isolation between the output/output than the input/output. Actually this goes for any splitter (3 way, 4 way).

kb7oeb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2004
Phoenix,Arizona
I have my antenna line come directly to where the 622 is located and it is split to the tv,622 and to the output of a two way splitter(with an amp), the output of the 622 is connected to the other output leg of that splitter and the input connection runs to a 4-way into the attic(another amp just before the 4-way splitter)

I wasn't able to get a clear picture without the amps, two of the secondary sets have ATSC tuners that work fine with this setup.

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have a 625 and ota signal combined that is distributed to 5 tvs throughout the house. Each one can watch the local ota channels or the satellite channel. I am not using either of the products mentioned above, but I bought something off ebay a year or so ago. Can't remember the name of it, but there were 2 different versions. One combined the ota (which it also amplified) & modulated signal, then it had 4 distribution ports. Later on I found one that had 8 distribution ports, which is what I am using and am very satisfied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)