722 upgrade charge from 622 in order to support sling adapter

tdhutton

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Atlanta
I am a new Dish customer at my current house. I actually had Dish serveral years ago at my previous house and was a very happy customer. I was very disappointed when I moved and couldn't get dish due to tree blockage. Luckily I eventually got an installer that made it work.

When I signed up 8 or 9 months ago for dish, I was told I would get the 722 as one of my receivers (I have a second 612 also). The installer put in a 622. Needless to say, I was disappointed that I received the old equipement, but the installer said that is all he had with him. Having the 622 hasn't been a huge problem until now. Although I did have an equirement failure once that required receiver replacement. That was irritating loosing my recorded shows. I now want to purchase a Sling Adapter. I just called customer care and was told I would have to pay $100 to upgrade to the 722.

Has anyone else encountered this? I think this is really bad customer service to charge a customer of less than year an "upgrade" charge when Dish gave out the old equipement. Does anyone have an advise on how to deal with customer care on this or escalate this to dish network management.

I was very happy years ago with Dish network customer care, but I am very disappointed with this level of customer care. Dish customer care was one of the major reasons I always recommended dish to my friends and family. I have to say that after this experience, I am begining to think that dish is on par with the cable companies customer care.

Sounds like you may have gotten a difficult rep, either try again or if you have the service plan schedule a tech visit for $15.00 using whatever excuse you want. When the tech calls ask if he has 722/722k and sling adapters on his truck. Provided he has them, when he gets their have him swap your box, then build another work order for the sling. Get cust serv to waive the 2nd tech visit since tech is already there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried again using the chat function on the dish website. I was also told to pay $100 722 upgrade fee plus a $15 install fee. I did get the CSR to waive the $15 install fee but no luck on the $100.

I like your suggestion about the service call, but I hate going around the process. I think Dish is in the wrong here since I am a new customer and I was told I would get a 722 when I had this installed last summer. I'm going to try an email to Dish to see if I can get action. I think dish needs to make a policy change here.

I had dish years ago and was a promoter of the service. If I can't get resolution on this using the normal complaint processes, I will be a very unhappy customer that will count the days until I can jump ship to another provider.

You have to remember that for install purposes that a 622 722 722k are all the same family and interchangable, so if you already have a 622 cust serv is going to be looking at it as if you want a bigger hard drive, thus an upgrade. BS I know but the sad truth.

This is exactly the situation I predicted regarding Dish still issuing 622's to NEW customers. If Charlie want to keep juicing the 622, he can do so other ways, such as for no credit customers or at a REDUCED SD to HD upgrade with the understanding that they can't operate with the Sling Adapter, there are many people who won't care for such a feature.

Dish is promoting Sling functionality to heights and here they are still putting in 622's for new customers. And yes, correct: 622 can not be upgraded to 722 without the $$ ir they Dish makes NO PROMISES as to what they will send, using the standard CSR route, anyway.

The only way one has any hope of a 622 to a 722 is through Executive level CSR's. They can do this. However, there may not be much they are willing to do for a NEW, less than one-year customer. My aunt got her 722 upgraded to 722K via Executive, but she is a 10+ years AEP customer, so they were quick and apologetic. Sorry, but Said so.

Last edited:
how do you get access to the executive level CSRs? I sent an email to dish last nigh, but I haven't heard back. I was hoping I could get to a higher levels of customer care using email.

I just had another idea. I currently have one VIP 622 and one VIP 612. I pay:
HD Solo DVR Receiver $10.00
DVR Service $6.00

Dish is telling my I have to pay $100 to upgrade my 622 to a 722 for the Sling adapter. I then have to pay $100 for the sling adapter. The total cost is $200.

I wonder if dish will upgrade my 612 to a 922. If so, what is the cost of the upgrade and will my monthly receiver charges change?

My last thought. Has anyone tried the monsoon vulkano devices? That also seems like a cheaper solution to sling.

When I upgraded a few years ago I had to pay $50 more for a 722 than a 622. Can't remember for sure now but I believe I paid $100 for the 622 (from a 311/owned) and $150 for the 722 (from the infamous 921/owned). In any event I'm sure it was $50 more for the 722. If it ever needs replacement they better give me another 722 or 722K--or a 922...........;):rolleyes::)

Ed

Update... I just called dish tech due to a problem with ppv. During my call, I was transferred to the advanced tech support team. After the tech figured out that my ppv issue was caused by a satellite issue, I asked him about upgrading to the sling adapter. He Is shipping me a 722k for no cost.

Dish is redeemed.

Once I get my 722k hooked up, I can order the sling adapter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts