722 Volume problem ?

isptech

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Champaign, IL DMA
I recently replaced our TV where the 722 is located. When I did that I changed the connection from component to HDMI. The old TV while "HD" only had a component input. I have noticed on some commercials that the volume is noticeably lower. I noticed in the menu there is a setting for volume leveling, which says enabled. Is there a problem here, or is this normal? Kind of nice having the commercials with a lower volume, however sometimes I want hear the commercials.

Disable the volume leveling. It was great in theory, but the result was too much compression and loss of audio quality.

The big difference is that with component your sound options were either analog or optical. With hdmi you are now getting digital sound. You will find a fluctuation of sound depending on how the source is encoded.

Ok, just checking, since the previous post to mine as worded makes it sound like optical is not digital sound.

Disable the volume leveling. It was great in theory, but the result was too much compression and loss of audio quality.

Thanks for that tip. Our 722K is connected via HDMI, and we have been turning the TV way up just to hear some channels. With the sound leveling disabled, the audio is MUCH louder on all channels.

It is. But it is more limited than audio via HDMI.
Code is code doesn't make any difference what digital output it comes out of. Now the device that receives it may not be set correctly to have the same level. As in for my 7.1 Yamaha you have to tweak the audio levels to match the other inputs.

Yeah volume leveling really messes things up with a good sound system. It makes everything quiet and no bass. Not sure what their idea of volume leveling is, but I would think it would just, adjust the volume, instead of screwing with the acoustics like it does. Hell I had an old Magnavox TV that did a better job than that.

Code is code doesn't make any difference what digital output it comes out of. Now the device that receives it may not be set correctly to have the same level. As in for my 7.1 Yamaha you have to tweak the audio levels to match the other inputs.

Optical is limited to 5.1. HDMI isn't.

Optical is limited to 5.1. HDMI isn't.
Not sure on that. I'm not seeing that restriction on my 7.1 unit in any of the menus. The 722k only outputs 5.1 as far as I know anyway wheter optical or HDMI. But Yamaha extracts the remain 2 channels. In fact mine is close to a 9.1 as it also has 2 spatial front channels that are extracted via a matrix from the stereo front image. The rear two are a delay of the side matrix mostly anyway. I know my unit includes the DTS Neo X decoder and that does the work On non DD signals. Wiki about 7.1 included here and ti talks about the wide spatial front channels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.1_surround_sound

Thanks to who ever started this thread! I turned my "Sound Leveling" off for my 722. Works much better. I guess my 622 doesn't have the sound leveling? It least I couldn't find it!

Optical fiber has great capacity, but the specs were based on coax. Specs for S/PDIF only go to 5.1. HDMI is much higher.

From answers.com:
(Sony/Philips Digital InterFace) A serial interface for transferring digital audio from CD and DVD players to amplifiers and TVs. S/PDIF is typically used to transmit PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1, but is not tied to any sampling rate or audio standard.

S/PDIF uses unbalanced 75 ohm coaxial cable up to 10 meters with RCA connectors or optical fiber terminated with a TOSLINK (Toshiba link) connector. See AES/EBU and TOSLINK.

Read more: S/PDIF: Information from Answers.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)