722 + wall cable?

blahblahblah65

Original poster
May 28, 2008
Is it okay to take a splitter from your high speed cable internet and run a cable to the OTA input on the 722 to see if you get anything from the cable company?

I know I could go right into the tv to see if that picks anything up but its in a weird position that makes it more trouble than its worth. Thought maybe the 722 would be an option....

thanks!

It is OK but DISh receivers do not have cable tuners. They receive DISh signals and OTA digital. Unless your cable system uses ATSC (digital OTA) and that is unlikely you won't gt anything.

Is it okay to take a splitter from your high speed cable internet and run a cable to the OTA input on the 722 to see if you get anything from the cable company?

I know I could go right into the tv to see if that picks anything up but its in a weird position that makes it more trouble than its worth. Thought maybe the 722 would be an option....

thanks!

Blah,

You can run a cable company feed into a Dish receivers OTA input, but you will not get usable signal at all.

The only signals the OTA tuners in any Dish 211,222,622,722,722k, and upcoming 922 receivers can use is ATSC MPEG2 OTA signals. No cable company I know of provides standard ATSC modulated signals down their cables.

There is virtually no chance any Dish receiver is going to be able use a cable company feed to receive any channels whatsoever.

John

Blah,

You can run a cable company feed into a Dish receivers OTA input, but you will not get usable signal at all.

The only signals the OTA tuners in any Dish 211,222,622,722,722k, and upcoming 922 receivers can use is ATSC MPEG2 OTA signals. No cable company I know of provides standard ATSC modulated signals down their cables.

There is virtually no chance any Dish receiver is going to be able use a cable company feed to receive any channels whatsoever.

John

In response to previous posts like this others have pointed out that there are afew cable companies that use ATSC. Still I agree with you that it is highly unlikely and he is better off going to the TV.

Actually there are some receivers that have QAM tuners in them, the 811 and 381 for example. Their are others but I don't remember which ones. Also on HD receivers in HDTV setup (menu,6,8) the item labeled analog type has some affect on the OTA tuner but I don't have cable so I've never been able to figure out exactly what it does.

Actually there are some receivers that have QAM tuners in them, the 811 and 381 for example. Their are others but I don't remember which ones. Also on HD receivers in HDTV setup (menu,6,8) the item labeled analog type has some affect on the OTA tuner but I don't have cable so I've never been able to figure out exactly what it does.

My 811 didn't have a QAM tuner..... Can you supply some documentation, like a link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts