722 wifi?

For the 722, 622 and 612 users, if you want to see if your DVR can access DishOnline, on the initial DVR screen is there a "DishOnline" GUI button? If so, you will want to connect your receiver to the internet.

I guess you could get a couple of these.

Amazon.com: NETGEAR 5 GHz Wireless-N HD Access Point/Bridge (WNHDE111): Electronics

Looks like they will do the same thing.

You might need a local Ethernet hub depending on how many devices you have.

I use this one because it has a nice look.

Newegg.com - D-Link DES-1105 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 2K MAC Address Table 64KB Buffer Memory

I use the Trendnet gaming adapter and a hub for my 722 and XBox 360. The gaming adapter is WIFI N - for "Nice and Fast" - so it works well. My only complaints are that this adds two more power cables and the hub runs a little warm for my comfort.

The gaming adapter was $28 on sale. The hub was found in a parking lot.

622 wifi

what about those of us who have EHD in the USB in back and do not want a connection on the front? Will a regular USB hub work? What model adapters have been found to work? Any lists?

Lord_Vader,
I'm usually pretty good tech-wise, so let me see if I'm understanding this right. I already have a WRT54G2, so I would flash it with dd-wrt. Then do I need another WRT54G to use as the bridge? I'm taking it as one WRT54G hooks up to my A/V equipment in the TV room and connects wire-lessly to the other WRT54G that is connected to my broadband...Do I have that correct?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

Yes.

Internet --> normal wireless router ( with or without dd-wrt) --> ****-wireless signal-**** --> wireless router with dd-wrt configured as a 'client bridge' --> dish Ethernet port

Or

Internet --> normal wireless router ( with or without dd-wrt) --> ****-wireless signal-**** --> wireless router with dd-wrt configured as a 'client bridge' --> hub --> dish Ethernet port

Initially, I left the linksys firmware on my internet connected router, but now prefer the dd-wrt. It's more stable and offers more functionality.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Oh, and if you decide to flash your router. Find the model and revision specific instructions on the wiki. There can be different steps even between revs. Its not that hard, but over time they have found quirks with different boards / chips and modified the instructions to make it work well.

And just to be safe flash your bridge first, then your main router. :)

Yes.

Internet --> normal wireless router ( with or without dd-wrt) --> ****-wireless signal-**** --> wireless router with dd-wrt configured as a 'client bridge' --> dish Ethernet port

Or

Internet --> normal wireless router ( with or without dd-wrt) --> ****-wireless signal-**** --> wireless router with dd-wrt configured as a 'client bridge' --> hub --> dish Ethernet port

Initially, I left the linksys firmware on my internet connected router, but now prefer the dd-wrt. It's more stable and offers more functionality.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, and if you decide to flash your router. Find the model and revision specific instructions on the wiki. There can be different steps even between revs. Its not that hard, but over time they have found quirks with different boards / chips and modified the instructions to make it work well.

And just to be safe flash your bridge first, then your main router. :)

Lord_Vader,
Thanks! It will take me a couple of weeks to get another router, the CFO is vetoing any new electronic purchases at the moment. :( If I run into any problems once I get it I'll let you know.

Last edited:
The best solution for all DVRs / XBOX / Blu-ray / ...etc. is to put in a wireless bridge.

That works if you're not in a subdivision, condo, apartment, etc. Wireless is a mess otherwise--too much interference.

I prefer powerline networking. Yes, it's theoretically slower than 802.11n (but not a/b/g), but it just works. I've seen wireless speeds go to pot just because the humidity was different.

It's also way easier to configure. Plug one end behind your TV and connect it. Plug the other one next to your DSL router and connect it--done!

Lord_Vader,
Thanks! It will take me a couple of weeks to get another router, the CFO is vetoing any new electronic purchases at the moment. :( If I run into any problems once I get it I'll let you know.

Lol :D

You could run a cable across the carpet and she may change her mind. :D

Make sure to secure that sucker with a couple rolls of duct tape so she doesn't trip over it! :devil:

THE USB WIFI dongles are just starting to roll out from DISH. No word on cost though.

With all the changes coming to the VOD you will want to have your receiver hooked up to broadband.

I tried hooking my 722 to my network, but it won't retrieve the IPs. I'm using known good CAT6 cable (25 feet to my Linksys router and gigabit switch). Any ideas why the ethernet connection is failing? I called Dish and they're sending a replacement. I find it hard to believe that the box is bad.

Darn good question. I have 3 VIP receivers all connected up to D-link Gigabit switches and a D-link Gamer Lounge router. All work well.

I have been using an Airport Express for two years on my 622. Tomorrow my 722 arrives and I will hook it up to that one.

Hey guys I want to try out the new online portal thing Dish has in beta, the only problem I have no internet where my 722 is. Has anyone tried using a usb in the back and have it connect with a wireless router? Is this even a option with the 722, Thanks.

I've tried a few USB adapters with zero success. After plugging them into the back USB port, the VIP reports "Unrecognized device" which I assume mean it doesn't have the right drivers.

The adapters tested were the Belkin Simple G and both Netgear's WNA1100 and WNA3100. The Netgear adapters had been working for other folks so I am surprised neither worked. Maybe my 722's device drivers are old?

I also used a netgear WNDA3100v2 usb adapter connected to back usb port, it also worked in the front usb port on 722k, works great. $28.00 on ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts