722k appears to be dead

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Unplugged it to do some work in the rack. Plugged it back in, and there is no video output, no disk spinup, only loud steady fan noise.

Has anybody had this happen to them? And, if so, is there a way to restore it it? Or, do I have to order a replacement at this point?

You unplugged ONLY the power cord? If you unhooked anything else, your problem could be there. When you first plug the receiver in, the fan may run up to three minutes, but usually only about thirty seconds. If it is still running constantly after ten minutes try unplugging it and waiting a minute before plugging it back in. This may fix any problems there.

In order to do any other troubleshooting on it, you would first need to see if you can restore video to your TV. If anything else was unhooked, make sure that everything is hooked up correctly, ask if you have questions, and see if you can get the picture back. Post again if you can get that working and we'll see if there's still a problem

You unplugged ONLY the power cord? If you unhooked anything else, your problem could be there. When you first plug the receiver in, the fan may run up to three minutes, but usually only about thirty seconds. If it is still running constantly after ten minutes try unplugging it and waiting a minute before plugging it back in. This may fix any problems there.

In order to do any other troubleshooting on it, you would first need to see if you can restore video to your TV. If anything else was unhooked, make sure that everything is hooked up correctly, ask if you have questions, and see if you can get the picture back. Post again if you can get that working and we'll see if there's still a problem
If I could restore the video output, I probably wouldn't have needed to post in the first place. :rolleyes: I've already tried letting it sit unplugged; waiting for well over 3 minutes after plugging it in; and, even banging it on the side with the palm of my hand, which usually fixes most equipment problems. Nothing has worked.

The Rack!!! Me thinks that's the problem. Overheated. They need to be out in the open, away from other heat generators. I'd say you cooked it.
But, it was working fine before I unplugged the power. Perhaps, it was hot when I unplugged it, and it never got a chance to cool off without the fan? Or, maybe I jostled it before the hdd parked the heads? In any case, it sounds like an out-of-warranty exchange is in order.

A front panel reset!!! Why didn't I think of that?!!!

I tried that first. (Both the reset button, and holding the power button.) That was right before banging it on the side with the palm of my hand. I forgot to mention it though. Sorry.

Yup. I'm afraid it's 1-800 for me.