722k Complete signal loss, requires factory reset every day.

Zorlac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Iowa
I have a Vip 722k and 2 211ks. The whole system has been pretty much running without fault since we got it back in September 2011. However yesterday morning I came to find that when I turned on my 722k, it had the Acquiring Signal screen. After what seemed to take forever I got the dreaded Complete Signal Loss error. I'd post the codes but they are all different everytime.

Power cycling by unplugging or holding down power button does not help whatsoever. So I did a factory reset in the menu. After a good 20 minutes of it doing its thing it seemed to have fixed it. I had no problem watching TV even late last night.

Today, same crap. Acquiring Signal, complete signal loss blah blah blah. Just did a reset again.

I tried tech support but it was all the usual canned responses. I got bumped up to advanced tech support on the chat and was told it was my switch that was at fault. But why would a factory reset seem to fix things even temporarily if the switch was the culprit? I'd think it wouldn't matter if you did a reset if it was a physical issue with the equipment. Im starting to think that when the 722k updates at 3am, something goes wrong. Im gonna set the update time for later tonight so I can see what happens.

To be clear, I have changed nothing. Nothing was moved or even touched. Weather has been mostly patchy clouds so thats not it either.

Anyway any ideas on whats going on? Is my 72kk on the fritz? Am I looking at replacing the receiver or maybe even upgrading to Hopper?

Last edited:
To contact DIRT member, go to top of this page, click on FORUM. Scroll down to green bar "What's Going On", DIRT team member will be in red (seem to be none on duty today, I ran into this the other weekend). When you find one on duty, click on name and go to their page where you can PM them. They really are a big help, no kidding.

Nothing is working. Resetting doesnt even do a thing. Goes thru the 38 tests then fails. The screen with the 4 emtpy boxes when its acquiring signal is blank, no green boxes any more. I dont know whats going on. Seems this thing is dead. Didnt even make it to 2 years. What a joke.

You haven't even explored the very first thing to check and Dish equipment is a Joke? Make sure you have a clear line of site, things grow over two years. Maybe a storm moved the Dish a little, maybe a loose connection. Yes, maybe something failed, it happens with ALL equipment from time to time.

Nothing is working. Resetting doesnt even do a thing. Goes thru the 38 tests then fails. The screen with the 4 emtpy boxes when its acquiring signal is blank, no green boxes any more. I dont know whats going on. Seems this thing is dead. Didnt even make it to 2 years. What a joke.

So call for a replacement. If you're a long time sub, they sometimes ship it free or certainly do if you have the Protection Plan. If they require a tech visit, sign up for the Protection Plan and then drop it afterwards. Costs about half in total of what it does if you don't have the PP. Or just go ahead with the Hopper upgrade if the price is right.

You haven't even explored the very first thing to check and Dish equipment is a Joke? Make sure you have a clear line of site, things grow over two years. Maybe a storm moved the Dish a little, maybe a loose connection. Yes, maybe something failed, it happens with ALL equipment from time to time.

No trees near my house and nothing to obscure the dish. My other 211 receivers are working just fine.

edit: tech coming tomorrow. Hopefully its just a switch and not the 722k.

Last edited:
Sigh. Was told the tech would show up between 12-5pm. Got a call from our local Dish reseller or whatever at 4:30pm. Told him the problem, and he suggested I unplug the 722k for 30 minutes. Did so, reconnected. It went to the "problem detected with your switch" prompt and did all the 38 tests. I then it cancel, and it went to the "Acquiring Signal" prompt. After 5 minutes I got the "Complete Signal Loss" screen.

Called him back and told him he or someone needs to come down now and have a look for themselves as I cant do anything more. However we're having some interesting weather at the moment, raining and some lightning and he said they'd have to reschedule for tomorrow.

Thankfully I have enough movies and a few shows recording on the DVR to get by. I better not be charged anything, given I have the protection plan. 2 and a half days of this. Hope its the switch and not the receiver as I'd have to try to back up all my recordings.

I'll try hooking up a 211 later tonight to see if it gets a signal. If it does, that means its the 722k thats at a fault, and if doesnt get a signal, then its the switch?

I"ve had this same thing happen twice in the past week on a 722k. The only thing that works is unplugging it for a long time- like 15 minutes and then it will download the program guide. I point it to 110 and have it run the 38 tests, which fail. I think it's a bad 722k, although when it was not working the first time, the 2xx unit wouldn't either.

I wonder if I should do a tech call, or see about getting an exchange for the 722k. It's almost 3 years old.

Yeah, short of a tech visit you need to swap receiver locations and see if it is a cable issue. if it is a 722 (not a k model) there is an issue where many of those are going bad. Signal will report 50% or more lower than it actualy is. requires a replacement receiver.

The tech was able to come after all. The rain lightened up and he called around 6:30pm. After nearly 2 hours he found that I guess something went wrong with the switch and lnb, possible weather related as we had some strong winds a few days ago. What really confused him was that the switch is located near the dish itself. For some reason when we upgraded to the new HD system the installers removed the old switch which was in the laundry room near the junction box, and instead located outside.

Also, he told us next time we have a problem or want to upgrade to new equipment like the Hopper I should call him first. For one he told me had I called right away when this issue started he would have shown up on either Saturday or Sunday no matter what time. Why did CSR tell me Monday was the earliest a tech could show up when he was available the whole time?

Anyway things are working now fine and hopefully will stay that way.

he says that because he is now responsible for the warranty, after his visit. if you have an issue tonight, and call dish, he could actually be charged $$. every tech has their own way of bringing this up to the customer.

Well a day after his visit, it failed again. Complete Signal Loss. Called him up, told me to unplug for 30 minutes. Did that, still got the CSL error. This time he told me he would send out a real tech to see what was up. The tech came at 8:00am yesterday and had a look at my dish. Said everything was working fine. I told him only the 722k was faulty, the other 2 receivers were working just fine. Upon hearing this he checked the coax cables and splitter. When he unscrewed it we saw that one of the coax inputs on the splitter was black and looked corroded. He came back replaced some cable and plugged it into another port. That fixed things.

So the erratic behavior of my 722k was due to a corroded coax input on a splitter. Would never had thought as the cables all meet near our junction box in the laundry room. Wonder how it got corroded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)