722k gives away the results of sporting events

ajm80031

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Denver
I have a 722k Dish DVR and one thing about it annoys the heck out of me. If I want to start watching a sporting event that's still in the process of recording, it's difficult not to have the receiver "spoil" the result. An example: I have the DVR programmed to record an event that starts at noon, and I want to start watching at 1:30pm. When I turn on the DVR at 1:30, it displays the live feed of what it's recording, which is an hour and a half into the event. The game/race results may effectively be decided at that point, and catching even just a few seconds of the video or audio can give away the result. Unfortunately, the DVR continues to show the current program in an inset window even when looking through the recordings, making it very hard to avoid learning the current score/status of the event.

I've looked through the 722's manual, hoping there was a setting that stops it from showing the current program while looking at the recording titles, but couldn't find one. A tactic that used to work with my old DirecTV DVR (punch in a different channel on the DVR remote before turning on the TV, so that the DVR will display a different channel to the one it's recording from) doesn't work on the 722 -- it keeps showing the recording channel along with a warning that changing channels will stop the recording. Shouldn't the 722 allow me to watch one channel while recording another?

Anyone have a solution to this issue, other than waiting until the event has finished recording before starting to watch it?

I don't remember how to do this anymore, I have a Hopper, but you can change the tuner default tuner for recording. You want to change it to tuner #2......

Press swap and then change the channel. Changing the channel usually is not necessary but you may have had that same channel on tuner 2 last time your receiver was on, so its good to be safe.

You can specify that TV2 be the preferred source for Recordings. TV1 will be tuned to whatever channel you were watching beforehand.

or if you are in single mode, you set the default recording tuner to 2. Thanks for bringing back that memory Foxbat! :)

Thanks for the responses. Turns out my 722 was set to record using tuner #2 by default, but in dual mode (which the DVR was in) my experience has been that the box is always recording from the tuner used for TV 1. I changed the mode from dual to single, which enabled PIP and SWAP. Unfortunately, there's no indication as to which tuner you're watching when you swap back and forth. So I set the DVR to record a show that was about to start, and once it did I used SWAP to make sure TV1 was getting the tuner that wasn't being used for recording. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

or if you are in single mode, you set the default recording tuner to 2. Thanks for bringing back that memory Foxbat! :)

In single mode it ALWAYS defaults to tuner 2. The setting for dual mode is called "Record Plus" mode. MENU - 8 - 5 . Enabling Record Plus will allow you to set the default tuner used for recording. In this situation you would specify to always record to TV2 first. Disabling Record Plus will make it to where setting up a recording on TV1 will always record to TV1 and setting up a recording on TV2 will always record to TV2.

I'm in dual mode, and in the case where I want to watch what's recording from the beginning, I'll either go to the TV tuner that isn't recording and access the recording from the DVR menu, or I'll turn on the Dish receiver and immediately hit the rewind button a few times to get it to rewind back at 300x. I'll do this before I turn on the TV so I don't see the rewinding.

If you've set TV@ to record a sporting event in advance, all you have to do is move to another channel. Then when you want to watch the event, just go to the DVR and if it's still in progress, select Start Over.

If you've set TV@ to record a sporting event in advance, all you have to do is move to another channel. Then when you want to watch the event, just go to the DVR and if it's still in progress, select Start Over.
That's only in single mode.

That's only in single mode.

I've been doing that in dual mode on my 722 for years. I use the guide to select the event in advance and as long as there is not something already scheduled to record on TV2, it is recorded on that tuner. I then can use TV1 or ota tuner to watch something else. Then if I want to watch the event from the beginning I use the dsr function.

Another trick, if you are using all your tuners. Wait a few seconds after a recording has started and go to playback on the dvr. You can watch anything that has started

I've been doing that in dual mode on my 722 for years. I use the guide to select the event in advance and as long as there is not something already scheduled to record on TV2, it is recorded on that tuner. I then can use TV1 or ota tuner to watch something else. Then if I want to watch the event from the beginning I use the dsr function.

Another trick, if you are using all your tuners. Wait a few seconds after a recording has started and go to playback on the dvr. You can watch anything that has started
I already covered that in my post#8. But sometimes someone else is already using TV1 and I have to use TV2, which I described a way to avoid seeing the live program being recorded on TV2 by rewinding the program before I turn on the TV itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)