722k - increase HD partition?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

saidiadude

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
Just got a 722k and HD programming. Other than swapping out the internal drive or buying an external USB drive, is there a way to increase the space allocated for HD (currently 55 hours)? I don't mind reducing the SD space to 100ish hours in an effort to allocate more space to HD content. Thanks!

It's not setup that way.....

The drive space is not partitioned, you either "fill it up" with 55 hd hours or an equivalent amount of sd hours...

Just record something and notice that both types of available hour decrease no matter which type of recording you made.

Thanks for explaining that. The tech said that there were 2 partitions - one for HD and one for SD. I took his word for it. So I guess the only option now is to add an external USB based HD. Does it matter how fast the external HD is for High Def content (5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM)?

Never take a tech's word for anything. :) There are two "partitiions," the "user" partition, and the "VOD" partition. The User partition is filled by things that you pick, while the VOD partition is allocated so that when you order a VOD event, it plays off of the disk instead of trying to pick a stream off of the satellite. Those of us with no broadband or phone line get the VOD space constantly filled when the tuners aren't doing anything else. You cannot change how this space is allocated, however, which sucks.

Towards the end of my 625, Dish pushed an update that did reduce the VOD allocation in favor of the user allocation. We can only hope that they do the same thing with the VIP DVRs some day.

To answer your other question, no, speed doesn't matter as long as it's USB 2.0 compliant, less than 1.5TB in size, and uses it's own power supply. Seagate, IOmega, and others make really sexy little 2.5" external drives that get their power from the "host" machine's USB port. The Dish VIP receivers don't provide enough power through the USB port for this to work, so you have to use a wall wart style transformer to power the disk.

Yes, it will work. It'll sound like an espresso machine, but it'll work. The nice thing about drives with full enclosures is that they tend to be quieter because of the housing around them.

Good point. I hadn't thought of the noise issue. I'll look for an enclosed drive.

That looks like a great deal. The newer Western Digital drives, especially the Green ones, are usually very quiet.

I have several WD drives of various sizes and one of those BlacX docks. Works great and I've never noticed a noise issue. At least it's quieter than the external fan I have on my ViP622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts