722K - Lots of brief audio dropouts

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I have a new 722K and I'm noticing a lot of brief audio dropouts, both in live TV and in recordings. Once it starts, it's everywhere until I press the reset button. The 722K is connected via HDMI to my Onkyo receiver, and then again via HDMI to the TV. I had no problems with my 722 that was connected the same way for the last year.

Tonight, I got home from work, and watched some live TV and all was fine. A recording started at 6:00, and the audio was still fine. Left for a few hours, and came back and flipped on ESPN - the audio was briefly dropping out every few seconds. Both OTA tuners were busy recording.

After everything stopped recording at 10:00, I started watching one of the recorded OTA programs, and there were brief audio dropouts. If I rewind, the drops are in different places. At this point, I pressed the Reset button on the box, and then all the dropouts in live TV and recorded TV went away.

Anyone else seen (er, heard) this before?

HDMI audio is totally unusable with my 722K going through my Pioneer Elite SC-07 receiver because of the dropouts. I assume Dish's HDMI design is somewhat non-conforming to spec. My workaround is to use component video and digital audio connections.

I gave up on HDMI audio for same reason. Using HDMI for picture and TOS for sound. As long as the receiver manufacturers give you the fiber option I little thin cable won't kill me.

Hmmm. I have mine connected via HDMI through (Onkyo recvr) and also have connected sound via optical. I use the HDMI through the Onkyo sound normally as I don't like the difference in sound levels from programming to commercial. I do use the optical output (dolby digital) for movies, sports programming and don't notice these problems with either sound method.

Could I keep the HDMI in place but connect optical audio from the 722K to the receiver? Or is that not a good thing to do?

I have this setup on my 622. HDMI from box to TV and optical to reciever. Works fine.

My 722K IS hooked via HDMI only to my av reciever and have no problems.

Cool, thanks all for the tips. I'll hook up an optical cable tonight, at least for a few more firmware updates. :)

Other than that the 722K has been great so far. I was recording two OTA HD shows, one satellite HD show, and watching a fourth show in HD live from the satellite, all at once last night, and it was all smooth except for this little audio glitch.

Interesting. I'm using HDMI from my 722k to my Denon 3808ci and have not seen these audio drops that you are talking about. Maybe some bad units?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts