722K - OTA Module - HD Locals on TV2 - Separate Cable Needed?

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
So, I sincerely searched the forums ... could not find it explicitly.

With the OTA module you can get your locals on your TV2 in HD.

Is this through the "normal" home distribution cable?

Or ... does TV2 have to be connected to the output on the OTA module?

It is the output on the OTA module that is confusing me.

Thanks in advance.

Okay got it now.

So, if TV2 satellite tuner is being used, the OTA module simply allows me to watch an OTA channel on TV2. With the 722 I could not do that. Correct?

Correct. We would have to go to TV1 and start a recording on the OTA tuner (or use DRA to do the same thing). Then we could chase play the OTA program on TV2.

OTA HD on tv2.

You can get HD to the 2nd TV by using two splitters behind your 722K. The first splitter would be used to split the OTA signal. One side of the splitter going to your OTA module. The other side of that splitter will go into one port on the split side of a splitter which will actually be acting as a combiner instead of a splitter. Take a jumper from tv2 out into the other port on the 2nd splitter and connect the single side of this splitter(combiner) back into the diplexer or triplexer ant port. Not sure I'm making that as clear as I can so feel free to ask further questions. On the number 2 TV you may have to set the modulated channel to a different channel now to find one that's clear for the SD satellite feed. but also run a digital air scan to find your HD locals.

dfwdish said:
You can get HD to the 2nd TV by using two splitters behind your 722K. The first splitter would be used to split the OTA signal. One side of the splitter going to your OTA module. The other side of that splitter will go into one port on the split side of a splitter which will actually be acting as a combiner instead of a splitter. Take a jumper from tv2 out into the other port on the 2nd splitter and connect the single side of this splitter(combiner) back into the diplexer or triplexer ant port. Not sure I'm making that as clear as I can so feel free to ask further questions. On the number 2 TV you may have to set the modulated channel to a different channel now to find one that's clear for the SD satellite feed. but also run a digital air scan to find your HD locals.

Hmmm, I kind of like that idea.

Once I finish the wife's current honey do's ... I may need to play around with this more.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Just a work of caution. I set up a similar combination of Home Dist RF modulated signal with an OTA antenna to my TV2 location. Everything worked great for a couple of weeks when one day I turned on the TV and the Dish Home Dist signal was all snowy. I first thought my TV or the coax cabling was going bad, but as soon as I removed the OTA from the splitter(combiner), everything went back to normal. It probably was due to some kind of RF interference between the OTA frequencies and the Dish RF channel, and I might have been able to search for a new channel to send the TV2 signal to avoid the interference, but I didn't bother.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)