EHD Issues - The Sequel

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
I had posted here a few weeks back about issues I had with recordings from my 622 that I copied to an EHD not playing once transferred to my Hopper (played fine directly from the EHD). When this happened I did all sorts of tests copying new shows back and forth from the Hopper to the EHD and had no problems.

Last night I copied the Frozen Planet series from one Hopper to the EHD and then back to the other Hopper and I had the same problem. I can see they are there but they are all "stuck" in the completed position and can't be re-started. I was watching other DVR shows while transferring the shows from the EHD to the Hopper. I don't think that was ever an issue with the 622. Does anyone know if that is an issue with the Hoppers? (Lucky for me Frozen Planet is being run on Animal Planet because it is for my wife who told me to just leave it on the other Hopper. This is one of the series we lost the first time during the change from 622 to the Hopper so I'm 2 for 2!).

I guess my question is were you watching programs off the DVR when you did the transfer? That's the only thing I can think of that I did differently this time when it didn't work.

I can't even access my EHD at all. Got the hopper installed first week of April and get warning 866, EHD not authorized with my account; will need to reformat. Obviously, I have not done that. Posted in various spots and made calls. Being told that it is an issue they are aware of and hope to have fixed. I have s211 and still nothing. Anybody have this problem resolved? I've tried rehits, reboots, everything.

When I originally connected my EHD from my old 922 to my new Hopper it worked great. Then all of a sudden it no longer showed and recordings on it. Now when I got back from Team Summit it shows all my recordings again. Looks like the latest software fixed my issue.

I HAD the same problem, then I sent a message to a DIRT member, the sent a HIT to my Hopper. All works fine now! I have Seagate EHD that does NOT go into a sleep mode.

I copied a ton of shows from my previous 722k to an EHD then to my fist Hopper, with no problems. Recently, I copied a ton from that first Hopper to an EHD and back on to a replacement Hopper, also with no issues.

UPDATE. It turns out there were some BIG issues with the transfer to the replacement Hopper! Almost all of the transferred recordings are unplayable. When I try to play them, I get a black screen. When I go back to the DVR page, and highlight the recording again, I get an error 04 in the program info field at the top. When I check the details for the recording, it says 0.0GB, and a date in the year 2106.

I spoke to someone from the engineering team this morning. (He called me because their records indicated I was having a video problem with the Hopper, and he wanted to clarify.) He said that one possible cause is if the Hoppers were on different SW revisions. And, that was the case. The original Hopper was on 210, and the replacement Hopper was 209. So, I was transferring from newer to older revisions. IOW, something may have been done to 210 that made recordings incompatible with 209.

In any case, for anybody that will be transferring recordings from one Hopper to another, I suggest making sure the one you transfer to is on the same or newer SW than the one the recordings came from, preferably the same.

This is not good to know; this is a nightmare! Are Gary's recordings lost and gone forever? What if I give up on the Hopper and go back to my VIP receivers? Will they be able to play anything off the EHD?

I had the same problem with the 04 error code. We had our Hopper installed May 2nd and tried to copy many programs that I had transferred from my 722 to my EHD back to the Hopper. We probably lost half of what we had tried to transfer and had the problem with the Hopper freezing up when we tried to watch the program showing the 04 error code. Had no way to delete them either so had to wait for a new program for that series to record then were allowed to go in and delete the infected program. I wish we had just watched the programs from the EHD.

This is not good to know; this is a nightmare! Are Gary's recordings lost and gone forever? What if I give up on the Hopper and go back to my VIP receivers? Will they be able to play anything off the EHD?

The problem comes up when you transfer the programs from the EHD to the Hopper. If you haven't done that yet you shouldn't have a problem - just leave them on the EHD and watch them from the EHD.

Not good that there's a problem. But good to know that there is ahead of time.

I've transferred recordings from the EHD to the Hopper and played them without a problem with one exception. An episode of House was recording on the 922 when the 922 froze. I happened to notice it when it happened and power cycled the 922. I immediatey started recording House on the 722 and caught the last 53 minutes. The first recording on the 922 had 3 minutes. When the 922 came back up it started recording House again, but only the last 46 minutes, so I deleted it. This happened the Monday (5/7) before I upgraded the 922, 722, and 622 to a 2 Hopper/1 Joey system on Thursday (5/10). Before upgrading I transferred the 53-minute House to an EHD. After upgrading, I transferred that House partial episode to a Hopper, but when I played it I got the black screen and the 04 error. The Hopper was on S211 when I transferred the recordings to it (I transferred about 25).

So far, all other recordings that I transferred from the 922 or 722 have been fine.

I do have several other problems with EHD recordings, including the 2106 year, detailed in this post (#591).

As I mentioned originally, this was a sequel to my original problem. Since many have posted similar issues I thought I'd post the link to my original thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/281722-ehd-issue.html This has been my only problem with the new system so in the larger scheme of things I don't feel too bad about it but I really wish there was some type of definitive explanation. No one can pinpoint exactly what causes the problem. And my exact point of starting this new thread was just when I thought I had a plausible explanation of what went wrong the first time a new scenario occurred.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)