722k question

rickc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
After many great ears of service, my trusty 722k with installed add-on OTA module finally failed. Dish brought out a new 722k that came with the internal OTA module in place.

All was well until I tried to record two OTA programs at the same time (as I was able to do with my previous 722k), and found that I could only record one of the programs.

My question: Does the new 722k DVR with internal OTA module still have two reveivers like the one with the add-on OTA model.

I've not been able to find the answer thus far.

After many great ears of service, my trusty 722k with installed add-on OTA module finally failed. Dish brought out a new 722k that came with the internal OTA module in place.

All was well until I tried to record two OTA programs at the same time (as I was able to do with my previous 722k), and found that I could only record one of the programs.

My question: Does the new 722k DVR with internal OTA module still have two reveivers like the one with the add-on OTA model.

I've not been able to find the answer thus far.

If it's got the built in OTA tuner that does not slide into a slot in the back then it's probably a 722(not K) which only has 1 OTA tuner.

Did they take your 722K, including the slide in two tuner module? If they did, contact DIRT and tell them what happened and ask for a replacement 722K including the module. If they left the module with you, contact DIRT and ask for a replacement 722K. They exchanged your 722K with a 722, that's why you only have one tuner....

Did they take your 722K, including the slide in two tuner module? If they did, contact DIRT and tell them what happened and ask for a replacement 722K including the module. If they left the module with you, contact DIRT and ask for a replacement 722K. They exchanged your 722K with a 722, that's why you only have one tuner....
Does Dish still sell the modules for the ViP722k? I know they stopped offering the OTA adapters for Hoppers.

Does Dish still sell the modules for the ViP722k? I know they stopped offering the OTA adapters for Hoppers.
They stopped selling the Hopper dongles because they ran out of them, and are supposedly working on a 2 tuner one. The 722 uses a module and it should still be available. They are totally different animals.

They stopped selling the Hopper dongles because they ran out of them, and are supposedly working on a 2 tuner one. The 722 uses a module and it should still be available. They are totally different animals.
I know they are different, but I thought that Dish might have run out of the 722k modules for the same reason. (High demand during the Tribune dispute, and Dish not wanting to give them away for free to subscribers who complained)

I'll bet that stock is growing, as folks upgrade and turn in old ViPs.
I agree. That is the only reason I can think of for why Dish would still have a stock of them, because people keep accidentally leaving them installed in the receiver when they send their old receivers back to Dish.

I agree. That is the only reason I can think of for why Dish would still have a stock of them, because people keep accidentally leaving them installed in the receiver when they send their old receivers back to Dish.
Maybe not even accidentally. If they are moving up to the Hopper why would they keep it? Even resale would be difficult and not worth the hassle as the demand likely continues to decline.

Reactions: TheKrell
Last I knew, even the high and mighty Dish reps could NOT guarantee a specific 722 or K. They would send out whatever. One had to play a game of RMA until the system or the warehouse finally sent out the desired DVR. Can DIRT comment if they can, indeed, tell the system to send out a K spcifically or not. It would be good to know.

Maybe not even accidentally. If they are moving up to the Hopper why would they keep it? Even resale would be difficult and not worth the hassle as the demand likely continues to decline.
I will admit that I returned the OTA module with my ViP722k on purpose, but only because Dish agreed to send me the OTA adapter for the Hopper for free. (This was last year, when Dish still had them in stock.) I certainly would not return a piece of purchased equipment without expecting to get something in exchange for it.

Last I knew, even the high and mighty Dish reps could NOT guarantee a specific 722 or K. They would send out whatever. One had to play a game of RMA until the system or the warehouse finally sent out the desired DVR. Can DIRT comment if they can, indeed, tell the system to send out a K spcifically or not. It would be good to know.
It's always been that way, even when the 722's and k's were new. It was all based on availability, and receiving the same family model. The exception is those with Sling Adapters needed the 722(k).

The exception is those with Sling Adapters needed the 722(k).
So, it CAN be specified.

My understanding (memory from way back) was that on new installs, you couldn't specify k-or-non-k, but on an RMA, you will get the exact model that is being replaced.

Reactions: TheKrell
That's the goal, to get the same equipment. The diseignation comes with a tag on the account saying Sling adapter.

It's always been that way, even when the 722's and k's were new. It was all based on availability, and receiving the same family model. The exception is those with Sling Adapters needed the 722(k).

You make it sound as though the 722 cannot accept a Sling Adapter. I have one and it works. I am guessing you are talking about the family including the 622 which was not mentioned. The 622 cannot accept a Sling Adapter.

Reactions: TheForce
It's always been that way, even when the 722's and k's were new. It was all based on availability, and receiving the same family model. The exception is those with Sling Adapters OTA modules needed the 722(k).
I fixed that for you. However, in the OP's case, it sounds like that did not happen. Dish still sent the wrong 722. (non-k)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)