722k reciever fan going bad

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kali05

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Ca
for the past 2 weeks been here noise on my 722k reciever thought might been hard drive. but today a message popped on my screen said it was overheating. i have nothing on top or on the sides and its in a open spot. well dish swamp it for another 722k if i get protection plan or will they force me to get the hopper?

Attachments

• dish722fan.jpg
    dish722fan.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 355
for the past 2 weeks been here noise on my 722k reciever thought might been hard drive. but today a message popped on my screen said it was overheating. i have nothing on top or on the sides and its in a open spot. well dish swamp it for another 722k if i get protection plan or will they force me to get the hopper?
The Hopper Duo, but I'd rather get the Hopper w/Sling

I bet you could find a fan that would fit on Amazon or New Egg for just a few dollars.
If I didn’t want to change to the Hopper system, I’d give that a try for sure.

If you have an open USB port on the 722 you could buy a Thermaltake USB fan and set it up to draw air out from the back left vent.

I was going to suggest that except the extra draw on the power supply for the fan might make it even hotter.

How about just blowing a regular fan on it to see if that fixes it and then take it from there. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Have you tried to unplug the receiver from the power outlet, then back in? If so, do you continue to see this message after the reset?

If it needs to be replaced, it would be for a like model and not an upgrade to the Hopper. - Christina W.

Reactions: TheKrell
If you really like the 722, why not just replace the fan? If it doesn't fix it, you're only out a few dollars.

I have an owned 722 and replaced the fan myself for about $9. It subsequently developed some authentication issue and was replaced by Dish with another owned 722 that I still have. (Now on a H3 with the sucky GUI. And to think people wanted a more modern GUI over the old VIP series. :crying)

Reactions: dare2be
The 722 is a hot box. I had one that melted it's rubber feet. It's also slow and feature poor compared to Hoppers, I encourage you to upgrade. Transfer your recordings to an external drive and after the upgrade have dish authorize that drive to the new receiver.

The 722 is a hot box. I had one that melted it's rubber feet. It's also slow and feature poor compared to Hoppers, I encourage you to upgrade. Transfer your recordings to an external drive and after the upgrade have dish authorize that drive to the new receiver.
as long as the account is the same there is no need for DISH to authorize the EHD.

I would open it up and see if the fan is dirty. The fans on the 722's rarely run, ( I believe they let them run hot because of complaints of the fan coming on in a bedroom install situation) so I would not think the fan itself is bad, may just be full of dust.
I have my internal fan wired to the 5 volt hdd port so it runs all the time on a low speed and every couple of years it needs to be cleaned.
Micro Center or any other computer store will have them for less the 10 bucks, to me just seems easier then getting a replacement from dish. Don't worry about opening it or breaking the hdd seal as dish is scrapping these at the end of there tour of duty. If you do get a replacement from dish I doubt they will want the old one back.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts