722K shuts itself down

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hab

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I recently subscribed to Dish. I have an HD ViP 722K receiver with a Samsung PN50A550 plasma HDTV. The TV is connected directly to the receiver with HDMI cable. I currently only have one TV connected.

Whenever I turn off the TV, the 722K turns off after 5 minutes. It will turn off even if it is the middle of recording something. It won't turn on again even if scheduled. I must first turn the TV on, then the receiver will reboot. So basically we can't record anything unless the TV is actually on.
Dish can't figure it out, even after a technician's visit. They have sent me two receiver replacements so I am now on my third receiver in a month. Problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Another thread

I recently subscribed to Dish. I have an HD ViP 722K receiver with a Samsung PN50A550 plasma HDTV. The TV is connected directly to the receiver with HDMI cable. I currently only have one TV connected.

Whenever I turn off the TV, the 722K turns off after 5 minutes. It will turn off even if it is the middle of recording something. It won't turn on again even if scheduled. I must first turn the TV on, then the receiver will reboot. So basically we can't record anything unless the TV is actually on.
Dish can't figure it out, even after a technician's visit. They have sent me two receiver replacements so I am now on my third receiver in a month. Problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Didn't you already ask this in another thread? I replied that it sounds like you have a power strip that has built in sensor to shut off everything on it after a time. That it senses trickle power and shut everything off in few minutes. try plugging the 722k direct into the wall that isn't on a switced outlet.

Don't know why there's two threads...

Anyway, I plugged it directly into the wall and it seems to work. Thanks for the tip!

One would think the the on-site tech would have seen the 722 plugged into the contraption and worked from there to plug the 722 into another outlet and said, "see if that works. If it doesn't we can replace your box." DUUHHHHH!!!

Long time DishNetwork customer, 11 yrs. Had 522 for years, never an issue. Just upgraded 2 weeks ago to 722 and nothing but a huge problem. Here is the setup: TV1 hooked up to LCD via HDMI cable. TV2 hooked up via coax.

Same issue, receiver shuts down 5 minutes after TV is turned off and cannot turn receiver back on. Forget about setting TIMERS. If TV1 is off, nothing records. If TV1 is off, cannot even turn receiver on.

Is this the way the 722 operates...does TV1 HAVE to be on for receiver to be on??
Do I have to sit through a reboot everytime I watch TV??
What is going on with the TIMERS...is it the TV, HDMI cable??

I am on my second receiver. I tried switching the plug like suggested above, nothing.

Ready to switch back to 522 as the HD is not worth the headache I have. :confused:

Component cable

Long time DishNetwork customer, 11 yrs. Had 522 for years, never an issue. Just upgraded 2 weeks ago to 722 and nothing but a huge problem. Here is the setup: TV1 hooked up to LCD via HDMI cable. TV2 hooked up via coax.

Same issue, receiver shuts down 5 minutes after TV is turned off and cannot turn receiver back on. Forget about setting TIMERS. If TV1 is off, nothing records. If TV1 is off, cannot even turn receiver on.

Is this the way the 722 operates...does TV1 HAVE to be on for receiver to be on??
Do I have to sit through a reboot everytime I watch TV??
What is going on with the TIMERS...is it the TV, HDMI cable??

I am on my second receiver. I tried switching the plug like suggested above, nothing.

Ready to switch back to 522 as the HD is not worth the headache I have. :confused:

Have you tried hooking it up using a component cable? Try that and see if it works. If that works then the TV is sending some kind of signal that system should shut down. It is hard to beleif that that would be true but try it. Also is it possible that you programmed the TV & 722 to turn off together on the remote. That shouldn't make the DVR really shut off but just trying ideas here. Another possible are you hooked up thru a home theater receiver that turns both off?

I vote for a switched outlet as the most likely problem. It appears to have been the case with the OP's setup.

My first reaction to the OP's problem was that it must be related to the Samsung TV and their decidedly flawed HDMI implementations (watchel1 seemed to be leaning in this direction as well).

Not sure

I vote for a switched outlet as the most likely problem. It appears to have been the case with the OP's setup.

My first reaction to the OP's problem was that it must be related to the Samsung TV and their decidedly flawed HDMI implementations (watchel1 seemed to be leaning in this direction as well).

I'm not sure which way I'm leaning on this one. Just asking more questions to try and find out more info. A switched outlet is possible, the OP has a power strip that had a built in shut off ( I have an out board device that senses trickle power so when I shut off the TV about 15 sec later it shuts off the Yamaha Home Theater Receiver). I don't put anything on that outlet that has a built in clock. It could be a Sammy problem and I no longer trust that brand since I worked at a TV station that had 3 52" DLP's that were a royal pain.

Figured it out

722 mystery solved. Tried switching outlets, actually tried 4 different ones, and problem continued. Tried hooking up the component cables and bingo, problem fixed. But still bothered about HDMI cable not working so I tried another HDMI port on the TV. Problem fixed. Looks like I have a bad HDMI port on the TV.

All is well again. Just wanted to throw this out there for a possible "fix" for others.:)

There was another poster, either here or "over there" who had a power strip that detected current flow and when the TV was off the DVR drew so little current that the power strip shut down.

Moral of the story - buy the cheap power strips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts