722K Snow on OTA antenna causes lost satellite reception

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Snowing a LOT here, dishes clean:) they are on my deck.

But yet lost satellite reception message. Seen something similiar when airplanes go over.

going to the guide fixes things.for awhile

found large amount of snow on my OTA antenna a 4 foot UHF corner reflector. most OTA channels have signal stregth in high 90s.

so whats causing this? clearing snow from OTA antenna got prob lem to go away.

Bob, that happens to me when the last OTA channel that I was tuned to, has fluctuating signal strengths. To fix the issue, I change the channel to a consistantly strong channel, then turn to the sat channel that I want to watch.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. Interesting thing is the OTA channels I record are generall 90% or more signal strength, although planes can trash that number momentarily

Hmmmmm, I wonder if my OTA reception was causing me the "loss of signal" deal from sat when I was trying to watch recordings this afternoon even though the receiver was last tuned to a sat channel. We had clear skies today and every time I checked multiple sat/tps and OTA signal strength was great on both. However it WAS very windy at times and I've experienced a momentary loss of signal from OTA in the past in high winds. If this was the case and it would cause the loss of signal thing from sat even though the receiver hadn't been tuned to OTA it doesn't seem like it would happen when I was trying to view a recording...........:confused:

Ed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)