722k standby question: Press SELECT to wake on remote doesn't work.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdad11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
US
I got my new 722k.

I've noticed that if I've turned off the 722k receiver
I can press SELECT button on remote, and it will wake up immediately.

But, if I leave it turned it off overnight, the next morning, I press the SELECT button on my remote, it won't respond. I have to go to the front panel to press SELECT button to wake it up.

Is this because it went to standby mode after 3-4 hours and won't wake unless the front panel SELECT button is pushed? No even the remote can wake it up?

Is this how it suppose to work?

If you are saying you see on the screen the floating message, and pushing select does not work, then there would appear to be something wrong. If the you are saying the screen is blank, and you push select then you are not using the remote correctly. You need to hit the power button.

Yes, that small red button is the reset button. It does work but that's on the front panel.

What I am saying that if I shut down my receiver using the remote and leave it overnight, I won't be able to power it on again if I use the remote. It won't respond to the remote anymore even when pressing the SELECT but nor the power button (via the remote). The only way to power it is via the Front panel on the receiver itself and press the SELECT or the RESET button.

For some odd reason, the 722k goes into a deep SLEEP mode after I've power if off and won't wake up unless I physically press the SELECT or RESET button using the front panel. It won't respond to remote.

Now, if I've powered it off only say.. 5 mins or 20mins or maybe less than 60mins.. I can wake it up again via remote. No problem there.
But, if I leave it off overnight.. perhaps from 12am till 6am.. it just won't respond anymore via remote.

Why is that?

Has anyone experience this?

The post right before this one is quite valid. Check that.
The only other thing I can think of is that some flat-screen tvs use an infrared remote sensor bar that interferes with dish network remote signals. Try turning your problem receiver 90 degrees and then position yourself so that you are facing the front of the receiver and hit the large red button on your dish networkremote, which is the same thing as hitting the select button, to turn the receiver on. If you're still having problems then you have a bad receiver (as long as all other remote functions work on the receiver once it is powered on). Does the remote change the satellite channels fine? Can you go to the program guide? Could be a bad remote control. I know that sounds weird since you can turn the receiver off with the large red button on the remote but I have seen some bad remotes which will do everything but turn the receiver on. Call Dish and ask for a new remote. If they try to make you pay for it just argue with them and eventually they will fold and send you one for free.

Another idea is to reset factory defaults. That will sometimes fix weird problems with the receivers. Go to Menu and hit #6 for "system setup" then go to #5 (I think) "reset factory defaults." Let the receiver do its thing and see of that fixes things.

I'm going to try to change my connection to component and stereo AV instead of HDMI and see if this problem still persist.
I've already shut down the HDMI CEC feature on my Samsung TV and it still happening last night.

Hmm.. still having same issue. Did that Menu-8-4, disable activity too. I've observed that after about 30minutes of receiver off (TV displaying "Your receiver is currently off. Press SELECT to watch TV"), I am unable to power on TV1. I have even try to change the remote address from 1 to 2. Same issue. Changed out to new battery too. I even place the remote IR directly facing the 722k front unit about 6 inch away. Nothing working. Lights come on the remote but receiver won't wake.
But, manually pressing the SELECT button on the front panel will wake it.. then the remote will respond.

But, strangely, TV2 power ON WITHOUT any issue using the UHF remote. TV2 is at the other room.

What could be causing this issue? Is this my remote for TV1 issue or could it be the IR sensing device on the receiver itself is defective?

I got my new 722k.

I've noticed that if I've turned off the 722k receiver
I can press SELECT button on remote, and it will wake up immediately.

But, if I leave it turned it off overnight, the next morning, I press the SELECT button on my remote, it won't respond. I have to go to the front panel to press SELECT button to wake it up.

Is this because it went to standby mode after 3-4 hours and won't wake unless the front panel SELECT button is pushed? No even the remote can wake it up?

Is this how it suppose to work?
I have a question for you, you said that you had gotten a new 722? Did you program the remotes? Generally that problem pertains to the remote not being programmed to a new stb. The remotes are never out of the box already programmed. Try this hold down the sat key for 4 seconds all mode keys will light, let go press 3 pond and record repeatedly let me know what happens.

If it's not an HDMI issue, maybe it's an IR interference problem. A lot of TVs have an "ambient light sensor" that blasts IR all over the room and interferes with IR remotes. Look for a setting that relates to that.

Hmm.. still having same issue. Did that Menu-8-4, disable activity too. I've observed that after about 30minutes of receiver off (TV displaying "Your receiver is currently off. Press SELECT to watch TV"), I am unable to power on TV1. I have even try to change the remote address from 1 to 2. Same issue. Changed out to new battery too. I even place the remote IR directly facing the 722k front unit about 6 inch away. Nothing working. Lights come on the remote but receiver won't wake.
But, manually pressing the SELECT button on the front panel will wake it.. then the remote will respond.

But, strangely, TV2 power ON WITHOUT any issue using the UHF remote. TV2 is at the other room.

What could be causing this issue? Is this my remote for TV1 issue or could it be the IR sensing device on the receiver itself is defective?

Why dont you make tv1 uhf as well, get the tv2 remote take the battery cover off pull out the key flip it over. Then press select on the 722 then point thr remote at the sensor and hold 0 it will come up and say its not right choose to reconfigure then just selectuhf instead of ir for tv1 if it then works you will know the remote is having an ir issue

The receiver comes with Inactive Standby mode "Enabled" after 4 hours. Once the receiver is in standby mode, you need to push the Red power button on the remote control. (Not the red reset button on the receiver). If you wish to change the setting, you can change the Inactive standby to Disable.

My understanding of Inactive Standby is how long the receiver will remain on before going into Standby mode (dish screensaver). It has nothing to do with whether the unit will respond to a Select button on the remote. Right?

If it's not an HDMI issue, maybe it's an IR interference problem. A lot of TVs have an "ambient light sensor" that blasts IR all over the room and interferes with IR remotes. Look for a setting that relates to that.

OMG!! You're genius!

You are 100% correct. After you've said that, I went back and test again.
If I had my TV off and turn ON my receiver first. The remote responds IMMEDIATELY!
But, if I had my TV on first, the dish remote won't respond to wake the receiver.

It doesn't matter if I use the TV remote or the integrated Dish IR remote (with my TV codes already programmed in).

As long as my TV gets to turn on later AFTER the receiver, it works!!

Amazing.. I learn something new everyday! I didn't even know this 'ambient light' thing from my HDTV could interfere with the wake up (from that screen saver mode) on my 722k.

The odd thing is when both TV and Dish Receiver are on, I have no problem changing the channels on the dish remote nor any problem turning off the Dish receiver using its remote. It seems that this 'ambient light' only affects the IR when the receiver is in standby/screen saver mode.

Thank you so much!! My call to CSR almost resulted in tech visit which would have cost me $.. now I don't have to worry about this anymore.
Now, I got to train the wife to turn the receiver ON first! :)

Last edited:
Glad I could help! Glad I could save you some $$$... Chances are they wouldn't solve the problem anyway, unless the tech knew about that issue... In this economy though... No use in wasting $$$ on something that can be fixed for free!

3HaloODST said:
Glad I could help! Glad I could save you some $$$... Chances are they wouldn't solve the problem anyway, unless the tech knew about that issue... In this economy though... No use in wasting $$$ on something that can be fixed for free!

Now please forward a check for 15 dollars to 3HaloODST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)