76cm dish aimed at Echostar16, a 1m dish at Nimiq5.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ypsiguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 5, 2019
Ypsilanti, MI
Any thoughts on how these dishes will do signal wise? I am throwing the 1 metre at Nimiq, as it appears to a CONUS beam and not spot beams like Echo16.

I'm in Southeast Michigan.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, the larger the dish, the more signal is captured.

But that is a single position dish, not very good at picking up signals from satellites at different locations, i.e 110 and 119, etc.

Correct. I am doing two dishes, one at Echo16 the other at Nimiq5. The two dishes have DP pro LNBF’s and run into a DPP33 switch.

They should, they are from a dish that aimed at 110/119. I will only be running a VIP 211k on this system. The Hopper Duo will run on the system installed by Dish.

Guess I will find out :). The fun is tinkering and the satisfaction of getting it to eventually work.

I used to point at 61.5 and 72.7 with separate Dish 500's, with DP lnbs mounted on them with the single lnb holder option. Worked perfectly with my VIP622 and later a VIP722k, using a powered DP34 switch, then a DP44 switch when I switched to the 722k.

Reactions: Ypsiguy
Any suggestions for getting the two dishes lined up, guys? I do have a signal meter, or the option of using the ViP and a TV...put the receiver on "point dish" and tweak away.

The dishes are mounted and ready to go...woohoo.

Any suggestions for getting the two dishes lined up, guys? I do have a signal meter, or the option of using the ViP and a TV...put the receiver on "point dish" and tweak away.

The dishes are mounted and ready to go...woohoo.

Use this: DishPointer - Align your satellite dish and enter your exact sat dish coordinates (you can get that from Google maps). Find your house on Google maps, switch to "satellite view", right-click the exact location of your dishes, then select "What's here" from the menu. Your exact coordinates appear on the bottom of the popup. Enter those into Dishpointer EXACTLY the same way. Then check the photos of your site on Dishpointer how the dishes need to be pointed, and crank them that way. Like if it shows one should be aimed towards the South-East far corner of your house lined up to a stink pipe or something, aim it that way, etc.

Once you get a signal, use the receiver to peak them.

I think I am the wrong satellite...lol. The receiver shows a signal on some transponders, but doesn’t lock onto it being echo 16. I’ll hafta continue tweaking.

Reactions: TheKrell
The system is up and running. The 76cm does nominally better on Echo16, but the 1m dish on Nimiq5 raises the signal by about 20 on my 211k signal meter. I am happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts