$799.99 HR10-250 forum deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DTV TiVo Dealer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Scarsdale, NY
Tonight we began a temporary forum sale on DIRECTV's HD DVR, model HR10-250 for $799.99, double boxed and delivered to your door. We also throw in our 5yr. extended warranty and 6 color logo'ed HD DVR shirt as an additional courtesy.

To get this forum exclusive offer go to www.valueelectronics.com/avstc.htm

All the best,

-Robert

has D* been giving any brand new subs the $200 Hd-tivo credit I've been reading?

I must have missed something, isn't this an MPEG2 version that will be obsolete when D* changes to MPEG4? Did D* announce how they would exchange HD-Tivos? I'd hate to shell out $799 for this and then have to do it again in a year.

- Dan

It will always work with MPEG2, and it will work with the national channels until at least 2007, as the currently channels wont switch to mpeg4 until at least then.

BFG said:
has D* been giving any brand new subs the $200 Hd-tivo credit I've been reading?

I called the retention number and they said they couldn't give me any kind of credit since I am not a current D* customer. She said she would transfer me to the sales department, but said they would probably not be able to give me any credit because they go "by the book" for new subscribers. Got transfered and indeed they could not give me a credit since I'm a new sub. I tried - at least the $799 is a better price than $999! Maybe you would have better luck... it's still worth a shot.

Robert,

I took you up on your offer for my Mother.

She has been looking at the HD Tivo for a while now.

Great deal. Thanks.

Thanks Robert for the GREAT offer, and thanks everyone who has taken Robert up on this offer, thank you for supporting those who support us. :)

I placed an order for the HR10-250 with VE yesterday and was helped by Sherry, who was very nice. I'm switching from E* to D* so we'll see how the transition goes.

So far, it's been a great experience with VE. I got e-mail confirmation right away, tracking information for the equipment (2 receivers, 2 dishes, multi-switch, etc) which is scheduled to arrive On Monday, and I called the installer and they are supposed to hook everything up on Tuesday! I'm hoping they can just swap out the dishes (my E* one is on the roof now, so they'll probably install one of the D* dishes there and the other one somewhere else since I needed the 2-dish setup for locals). They should be able to use the existing wiring that E* installed a year ago, so I'm hoping that will save some time on the install.

I'll report back with the full experience next week, but so far I'd definitely recommend VE.

If anybody is sittin on the fence maybe this will help. I've been with E* 6 yrs. and decided that the time for time shifting HD had arrived. One call to Value Electronics and I was on the way with the 10-250, 2 D-10's and a new dish. Man this stuff arrived fast! The self install took about 4 hours (had to run a new cable to get 2 to the 10-250). The acitivation took about 10 minutes. I called E* to place my account on hold and began exploring the new world of Direct TV and HD Tivo. I must say this HD Tivo unit is amazing, it does everything it advertises and does it effortlessly. I dont work for Value Electronics, dont even know anybody who does, but when a company provides such good service and merchandise they derserve to be recoginized.
--Kevin

I just ordered from Value Electronics too. Didn't get the 250, but saw they had a refurbished Zenith SAT-520 for $199 and after exchanging emails with Robert, I bought it based on his high recommendation. I was concerned about the lack of warranty but he guaranteed me that it would work great. Will keep all posted with the experience.

Excuse me...

These receivers are not MPEG4 compliant; only MPEG2.

They may not be functional in as little as 2 years.

Therefor, they are too much at any price.

DirecTV is telling clients in the know to hold off from purchasing MPEG2 compliant equipment as they "do not know what there policy will be regarding exchange or discount" for MPEG4 compliant equipment.

They therefor ask clients to error on caution at this time.

DirecTV is planning to begin implementation of MPEG4 Q2'05.

A five year warranty isn't very useful, in this case.

Please advise clients prior to sale.

It is the honest thing to do.

Thank you.

bradley said:
Excuse me...
A five year warranty isn't very useful, in this case.
Please advise clients prior to sale.
It is the honest thing to do.
Thank you.

Robert from VE has already stated that the 5 year warranty is transferable to a new unit when the current receivers need to be replaced. Also, though there is always a chance D* will charge us an arm and a leg to replace our current units, the word seems to be that they will do so at little or no cost.

On top of that, they say they will be begin MPEG4 some time this year, but for most of us, it would appear that the switch will take longer (who knows how long, just speculation at this point).

So I ordered the HR10-250 knowing quite well that MPEG4 is coming at some point, but I want to enjoy HD DVR *now*. I think it's safe to assume that they won't just tell us one day that our current receivers won't work anymore and we need to spend another $800-1000 for a new one. If they do, then I'll eat my words and will be a disgruntled customer... but life goes on... :)

klok said:
If anybody is sittin on the fence maybe this will help. I've been with E* 6 yrs. and decided that the time for time shifting HD had arrived. One call to Value Electronics and I was on the way with the 10-250, 2 D-10's and a new dish. Man this stuff arrived fast! The self install took about 4 hours (had to run a new cable to get 2 to the 10-250). The acitivation took about 10 minutes. I called E* to place my account on hold and began exploring the new world of Direct TV and HD Tivo. I must say this HD Tivo unit is amazing, it does everything it advertises and does it effortlessly. I dont work for Value Electronics, dont even know anybody who does, but when a company provides such good service and merchandise they derserve to be recoginized.
--Kevin

Just curious... as a 6 year customer of E*, what made you switch? E* has the 921 and the upcoming 942 - were you like me and 1) didn't want the 921 because of its reliability issues (bugs, etc) 2) don't want to wait for the 942, which might not even be able to existing customers for quite some time?

Also, what do you mean put your account "on hold"? You mean you didn't cancel?

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.