Southwest inks deal with DirecTV for live in-flight television

That is interesting news! It used to be Dish Network provided the Live TV. It looks like that is gone.

Right. The current satellite system aircrafts (United Airlines for sure) have consists of M10s or otherwise D12 receivers with modified commercial software, obviously to limit the amount of control a passenger has over settings. This is a long-old setup and many airplanes either need to be moved to streaming or they need to replace M10/D12 receivers with H24/H25 receivers. Replacing receivers would not be feasible, especially because the in-motion dish attached to planes is only designated for 101, not for 99 and 103. A whole new receiving dish (not even sure if one exists for airplanes to receive 99 and 103) could cost a lot more money and a whole new wiring system.

Clearly, streaming is more feasible.

They may be used on boats, but I’ve seen instances of them on airplanes utilizing KVH dishes. Not sure how accurate this info is, thus my statement before alluding to the fact that planes use an M10 OR OTHERWISE a D12. Sorry for any confusion.

They may be used on boats, but I’ve seen instances of them on airplanes utilizing KVH dishes. Not sure how accurate this info is, thus my statement before alluding to the fact that planes use an M10 OR OTHERWISE a D12. Sorry for any confusion.
Wouldn't the Motion Dish be the biggest thing ?
I would think any recvr would work with the appropriate equipment.