80GB spare HD lying around, worth using with 622?

rprice54

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I have a spare 7200RPM 80GB HD laying around that I pulled out of an old PC. I don't have an enclosure for it.

Would it be worth the $10-15 to get an enclosure and hook it up to my DVR or should I go ahead and look into a bigger external drive? In other words, how much HD/SD should I be able to fit on it? If it's only a small amount of time it may not be worth the trouble.

Thanks.

I wish I had an extra 80 gig laying around my house! I want a small drive that I can use to transfer back and forth between my two 622's and this would be perfect.

I guess I am not so much interested in transferring back and forth but watching stuff recorded on one of the 622's on the other 622. A small drive that I can just reformat after every third transfer would do the trick!

If you get a cheap enclosure, just don't keep it plugged in all the time, will generate too much heat, and shorten the drive's life.

But it could be useful, even for some HD - just not a lot of it.

that's the thing, I have my box in the basement downstairs, I just want to hook something up and leave it- so I probably need a nicer expansion enclosure, which raises the price more. I see 320 GB models around $100 at Sams Club, I may just go that route and add the HD to my PC. of course I could get a nice enclosure and then upgrade the drive later.

I still haven't seen any time estimates. How big is the drive in my 622, anyone know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts