80GB spare HD lying around, worth using with 622?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rprice54

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I have a spare 7200RPM 80GB HD laying around that I pulled out of an old PC. I don't have an enclosure for it.

Would it be worth the $10-15 to get an enclosure and hook it up to my DVR or should I go ahead and look into a bigger external drive? In other words, how much HD/SD should I be able to fit on it? If it's only a small amount of time it may not be worth the trouble.

Thanks.

I wish I had an extra 80 gig laying around my house! I want a small drive that I can use to transfer back and forth between my two 622's and this would be perfect.

I guess I am not so much interested in transferring back and forth but watching stuff recorded on one of the 622's on the other 622. A small drive that I can just reformat after every third transfer would do the trick!

If you get a cheap enclosure, just don't keep it plugged in all the time, will generate too much heat, and shorten the drive's life.

But it could be useful, even for some HD - just not a lot of it.

that's the thing, I have my box in the basement downstairs, I just want to hook something up and leave it- so I probably need a nicer expansion enclosure, which raises the price more. I see 320 GB models around $100 at Sams Club, I may just go that route and add the HD to my PC. of course I could get a nice enclosure and then upgrade the drive later.

I still haven't seen any time estimates. How big is the drive in my 622, anyone know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)