811, 942...Questions

jdogmd

Original poster
May 21, 2005
I'm a former voomer and am considering getting Dish. Main TV is in the basement and I'm planning on putting a 942 there. TV2 would be on 2nd floor directly above. I was told by CSR that the UHF would work through the floors.? Also, does there have to be direct connection to that TV or can it go through the main wiring of the house.

I'm also interested in getting 3 other HD connections. A couple of questions. First, they will only give me one 811 with the deal. Dish says I will have to buy the others for 350$ each. They won't let me rent more?? I also considered buying them used. The CSR said it would cost 60$ each for install. Can I just hook them up myself or is there some activation?

Second is concerning install. Does new wiring have to go to each 811/942 or can the existing coaxial be used? Can they all get OTA?

Sad Voom is gone but will make the best of it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jdogmd :D

What the CSR meant is that the UHF remote will work through the floors within the house. You'll still need an OTA antenna with line-of-sight to the broadcast towers, and that will have a coax connection to the back of each receiver.

All the Dish HD receivers are OTA ready.

Yes, assuming their accounts are clear and you then get them activated with E*. You will require the proper switch(es) for the RG6 satellite feeds to the boxes, of course. Lots of folks do their own installs and you could too, this is assuming you have the knowledge & skills for this.

da Doug

jdogmd said:
I'm a former voomer and am considering getting Dish. Main TV is in the basement and I'm planning on putting a 942 there. TV2 would be on 2nd floor directly above. I was told by CSR that the UHF would work through the floors.? Also, does there have to be direct connection to that TV or can it go through the main wiring of the house.

I'm also interested in getting 3 other HD connections. A couple of questions. First, they will only give me one 811 with the deal. Dish says I will have to buy the others for 350$ each. They won't let me rent more?? I also considered buying them used. The CSR said it would cost 60$ each for install. Can I just hook them up myself or is there some activation?

Second is concerning install. Does new wiring have to go to each 811/942 or can the existing coaxial be used? Can they all get OTA?

Sad Voom is gone but will make the best of it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jdogmd :D
DISH's would only provide me with one 942 and one 811 for my three HDTVs (said I would have to use TV2, which is SD, for one of my HDTVs, plus pay $5 charge for the set connected to TV2 as well). I called The DishStore (Site Sponsor) and they hooked me up with a 942 and two 811s without a problem. Don't waste your time with DISH and don't settle for TV2 when you can lease another 811 for the same price. Just click on The DishStore above and ask for Chad. If you send me a PM I'll provide you with a referral number to have your $49 installation fee waived.

I am also very pleased with my DISHStore purchase. Received extra $49.00 credit that lowered my lease of a 942 to $200, plus a free second dish for Locals, then after install added VOOM programing. Boy is that 942 DVR sweet. Never had a HD receorder before or a DVR that would record three channels at one time, either. Picture is as good or better than VOOM on HD. Don't wait enjoy your HT now! You will be glad you did.