811 and Dish SD PVR hooked up to one TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Penrhys

Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Hello, I am new here. I searched and didn't find an answer to this, but if it has been asked and answered before, please forgive.

I am considering getting a HDTV. I already have the Dish Network and their standard 100 hour PVR, which is the greatest invention. However I cannot afford to buy the Dish HDTV PVR which costs $1000. So my question to you all is can I keep my Dish SD PVR and get an 811 receiver and hook them both up to a single HDTV?

The dish salesperson I called at their 800 number said no I couldn't. But I am not sure I believe her. Has anyone tried this? What would I need to make this work?

Penrhys said:
Hello, I am new here. I searched and didn't find an answer to this, but if it has been asked and answered before, please forgive.

I am considering getting a HDTV. I already have the Dish Network and their standard 100 hour PVR, which is the greatest invention. However I cannot afford to buy the Dish HDTV PVR which costs $1000. So my question to you all is can I keep my Dish SD PVR and get an 811 receiver and hook them both up to a single HDTV?

The dish salesperson I called at their 800 number said no I couldn't. But I am not sure I believe her. Has anyone tried this? What would I need to make this work?

You can do this. I have both a 508 and 811 connected to my HD set. Simply connect each to it's own input on the set. Don't forget to set one of the receivers to a different remote address.

NightRyder

Me Too

I have a 510 and a 811 hooked up to one TV. With only five channels of HD to record and half of them not showing something I wish to record and the other half being played elsewhere in SD could see no reason to spend that much money. The previous poster was exactly correct just hook them to different inputs.

Penrhys said:
...The dish salesperson I called at their 800 number said no I couldn't. ...
Well, there's your answer - E* said "impossible", therefore it will be almost trivial to hookup. :D

Just make sure you buy an HDTV with enough inputs (actually, it'd be hard to find one withOUT enough inputs :) ).

Alternatively, use your audio receiver as a video switcher - that's what I do - my Sony STR-DE695 has component video switching along with standard S-Video & composite video switching.

My Philips HDTV only has one set of component inputs, so my progressive scan DVD and my 921 are routed through the Sony. Works great, and the audio "magically" switches at the same time. :)

Finally, a previous poster mentioned you'd need two "coax cables". Yes, but to be specific, what he means if you need enough satellite feeds from your dish to drive the number of satellite tuners you have. Note that tuners and boxes is NOT the same thing. :)

thanks for the quick reply. Seems simple. It is not enough to split the coax, I just need to make sure that there are two coaxes coming off of the dish and down to the television. I presume installers will do this when they come to bring the hdtv box.

Two Coax

Bobby makes a good point. You have to have two coax cables. I do. If the contractor is there pulling one cable I have found that they have no problem running the second. Especially if it is going to the same place. If they squawk, $10.00 should satisfy them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts