811 and DVI Output Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Daddyad

Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I recently got an 811 and I tried hooking it up via DVI to my Hitachi hdtv today. Unfortunately, everything has a very red/pink tone to it. If I go into the 811 menu system, the screen has a pink background instead of the blue. Is there a specific setting on the 811 or could I have a bad 811 or cable?
Thanks in advance.

You may need to go into the menu under VIDEO and choose "Color System " from the menu and set the first option to HDTV.
I have a Hitachi with a DVI-D cable and no problems.
When I first turn on the set it shows "Digital In" in the upper right corner.

Does the 811 work with component cables?
If it does I would check it with a different DVI cable. Just be sure to get the correct cable as there are several different plug configurations.

am also having problems with the DVI out using it on a new JVC LCD Widescreen. I get all kinds of bars, bad color, basically, like there is interference. It's unusable. The bar go left to right and roll up and down, worse when camera pans or action scenes. It works fine on the componet hookup but I wanted to use that hookup for the DVD.

I called Dish and they said it was a setting on the TV or BAD Tv but would turn it over to enginerring, I don't think it's the TV, I think it's an issue with the DVI output, tried another cable, that didn't help.

The JVC makes corrections when going from HD to SD on screen size using the DVI, but not the component. Wife doesn't want to have to mess with a bunch of stuff just to change channels.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried changing the option to HDTV, but it still had the very red tone to it. Component cables work great, so I think I may stick with that for now. GB42 - what kind of DVI cable are you using?
Thanks.

I have the 811 with the DVI cable going out to my Hitachi 57SWX20B, and everything looks great. I didn't make any setting changes, but I also didn't have anything hooked up to Video 1 until I received the 811.

I have made the corrections to the color, brightness, etc. by using AVIA when I first got the in May. As with most other brands of TV's, there is a little bit of a Red push with this set, so it has to be turned down a bit.

For comparison, I have a Foxconn brand of DVI cable, 4 meter, dual-link, and got it off of Ebay for $9. Beats the $200 price tag for a 4 meter Monster set at the local stores!

Somewhere on this forum it was mentioned or linked to a document that the quality of the cable doesn't matter as long as it is under 15 feet long.

I got my 6' DVI-D cable off of ebay for $1.00 today in the mail.

I plugged it into the 811 and my Hitachi 57S500 Input 1 and made no other adjustments and it works just as the component cables did. It may have a 'little' bit better PQ on HD programs.

I really havn't done any calibrations yet other than 'magic focus' and setting the brightness & contrast below 50% and kicking up the sharpness to 98% and edge enhancement to high.

I set the 811 to 16:9 1080i

Done. I'm happy with it so far.

I feel like such a newbie. After reading everbody else's success I decided to try the cable again. This time I noticed that one end says "PC" so I plugged that end into the receiver. It works great now. I think I had the cable reversed.
Thanks for all of your help.

Mark_AR said:
I got my 6' DVI-D cable off of ebay for $1.00 today in the mail.

I plugged it into the 811 and my Hitachi 57S500 Input 1 and made no other adjustments and it works just as the component cables did. It may have a 'little' bit better PQ on HD programs.

I really havn't done any calibrations yet other than 'magic focus' and setting the brightness & contrast below 50% and kicking up the sharpness to 98% and edge enhancement to high.

I set the 811 to 16:9 1080i

Done. I'm happy with it so far.

Well, got mine also on Ebay, but not as cheap as $1, got it for $6.99. I plugged it in (Toshiba 50HDX82) and didn't see any difference over the component cables that Dish install hooked up. Also, the "format" button didn't seem to do anything. Then** I remembered that the Toshiba, when you press the input button to choose where the signal comes from, had a DVI setting. Switched to that and wow, beautiful picture, and the format button works.

Daddyad said:
I feel like such a newbie. After reading everbody else's success I decided to try the cable again. This time I noticed that one end says "PC" so I plugged that end into the receiver. It works great now. I think I had the cable reversed.
Thanks for all of your help.

They should be universal. Either end will go to either component. It just sounds like one of the pins that controls 'blue' may not have made good contact.

Reminds me FORD engine diagnostics. They had a troubleshooting section for onboard electronics caled a 'wiggle test'. Seems funny, but the more contacts you introduce between things, the more chances you have for contacts to oxidize, lose contact or work loose.

Mark_AR said:
John Kotches said:
Ok, I give up... where is the HDTV color space option? Or is this on the display we're talking about?

Cheers,

Have you tried the '*' key on the 811 remote?

In my case (Toshiba), that key only works when the tv itself is put into DVI mode. If in any other mode, the words "stretch" "zoom" etc. appear, but make no difference even with component cables.

Mark,

* scrolls through the screen options (Stretch, Zoom, Normal etc).

None of them allows me to adjust color space (which is what was implied earlier).

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
Mark,

* scrolls through the screen options (Stretch, Zoom, Normal etc).

None of them allows me to adjust color space (which is what was implied earlier).

Cheers,

OK, my bad. I didn't understand the question.

There is no color space adjustments on the 811.

(Probably only accessable through a professional ISF calibration menu on your TV)

With a DVD like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials maybe you can make some adjustments to your TV but there can be hundreds of adjustments that if tweaked improperly can render a set unviewable.

I would leave it to a qualified ISF calibration technician.

If you still feel the need, go to http://www.hometheaterspot.com/

They have forums dedicated to many types of RPHDTV's with an available tweaker section for paid members.

Good luck!

Mark,

What do you do when you don't have an RPTV? Seriously...

By the way, thanks for plugging the HT Spot.. I've been an editor there since about the beginning :D

I appreciate the warning on settings, but I know enough to get myself out of a jam with my projector :)

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)