811 and non HD signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
WIll I be able to output ALL signals (SD and HD) thru the component video outs on the 811? I have a 4:3 HDTV monitor and was wondering if I in fact have to use the svideo for the SD stuff or can I pump it all thru the components(no DVI). My TV doesn't handle 720p, but does 1080i. If so, how is the upconverted ( I qwould imagine it has to upconvert) quality compared to the Svideo?
Also, anyone using an OTA antenna indoors Vs. having one outside the house?
Thanks.

mboy,

No, you can view SD and HD programming through the component video. As for upconverting, if you set your 811 receiver to output to 1080i, the receiver will convert 480p, 480i, and 720p upto 1080i for you and you will be able to watch it on your set.

As for OTA antennas, I am using a radio shack indoor antenna that has a small pre-amplifier in it. I live about 40 miles from the transmitters and I get 80 to 85% signal strength. If I used an outdoor antenna with a small amp, I know I would get 90-95% signal strength easy.

-Mark

Does the 1080i output come in 16:9 format (say for non HD broadcasts) as I fully expect most true HD shows to output in this ratio), or is that dependant on the program itself.
Thanks Mark

mboy said:
Does the 1080i output come in 16:9 format (say for non HD broadcasts) as I fully expect most true HD shows to output in this ratio), or is that dependant on the program itself.
Thanks Mark

Show dependent. For example, I was watching CSI last night in HD using OTA, and it was widescreen. However, all commercials were only 4:3. I don't if/where the setting is for the 811 to letterbox 16:9 if you only have a 4:3 tv.

CFilkins said:
mboy said:
Thanks Mark

Show dependent. For example, I was watching CSI last night in HD using OTA, and it was widescreen. However, all commercials were only 4:3. I don't if/where the setting is for the 811 to letterbox 16:9 if you only have a 4:3 tv.

The 811 does have an aspect ratio setting in its installation menu. You can pick 16:9 or one of two 4:3 modes. I think its on the HDTV menu pick but I'm not certain. The commercials on most HD channels are the same ones the networks show on the SD version of that programming. That's why the commercials go to 4:3, since they're SD, and the actual show is 16:9 HD. You can make both the commercials and the show 16:9 by using the stretch, partial zoom or zoom modes of the 811.

Mike

So on a 4:3 TV, if I set the ratio to 16:9, on the 811 then everything but true 1080i-16:9 will be widescreen and all SD, commercials etc will be in 4:3 correct (which is what I am after)?

mboy said:
So on a 4:3 TV, if I set the ratio to 16:9, on the 811 then everything but true 1080i-16:9 will be widescreen and all SD, commercials etc will be in 4:3 correct (which is what I am after)?

I don't own a 4:3 HD tv, but I'd think you'd want to use one of the 4:3 modes. Otherwise, the true 16:9 stuff may wind up being stretched. With it set to 4:3 mode, I'd guess the 811 would letterbox the 16:9 stuff and show 4:3 full screen. I have my 811 connected through component outputs to an X1 projector running in 16:9 mode and the SD content is upconverted to 1080i. I'd think it would do the upconvert just fine on your 4:3 tv. I'm using a pair of attic antennas I got from Radio Shack for OTA. They ran about $20 apiece. I had to get two due to local stations being in almost directly opposite locations from my house. I get the nearby stations between 80%-95% and two distant ones (about 50 miles) at around 60%-65%. I live in a pretty mountainous area though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)