811 and OTA channels

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I added all my local ota channels by scanning in my new 811 (Previous Boston voomer here).

All the channels came in, but no guide data, except one small 2 hour block for about 3 hours in the future on a local 044-01, so I know it reads psip data, but why is the rest of the guide data for OTA not there?

I even left the 811 on 002-01 (local pbs station), to see if it would load, and nothing!

Since that small 2 hour window did load, I know it is there.

How do I get OTA guide data?

Phil

I have 5 OTA channels and only 1 of them provide the info.

It is up to your local provide whether or not they broadcast that info. This is one area where it is not E* fault! :D

peid said:
I have 5 OTA channels and only 1 of them provide the info.

It is up to your local provide whether or not they broadcast that info. This is one area where it is not E* fault! :D

I know that it is not an E*, but how does it load? Does the rcvr have to be off? Does it have to be on OTA channels to load it?

Also, my tv has a hd tuner built in and shows the guide info for at least, current stuff on every OTA digital channel, so I know it is there.\

No it doesn't have to be on a OTA channel to load, whenever I press guide, it shows up even if I am watching ESPN or something.

Weird that your TV shows it but the 811 doesn't, hence the reason you are asking I now presume.

peid said:
Actually it is E*'s fault. As they try to remap their own guide data for the 811, and not the PSIP transmitted by the stations.

Derwin0 said:
Actually it is E*'s fault. As they try to remap their own guide data for the 811, and not the PSIP transmitted by the stations.

There is an option to map their data or not. Are you saying they do it anyway (wrongly) for OTA digital?

Why did the 3 hour block come through then for 044-01?

philhu said:
There is an option to map their data or not. Are you saying they do it anyway (wrongly) for OTA digital?

Why did the 3 hour block come through then for 044-01?
E* makes a very unforgiving intrepreter for PSIP. If the PSIP from the station is perfect, EPG works and shows the channel mapping and guide data. If not, all you get is "Local Digital", even if other OTA tuners show guide data.

I get EPG data for 3 of the 8 local stations here in OKC. I don't know about Boston.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)