811 Aquiring Satellite Signal very often

bobhaze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
811 Aquiring Satellite Signal very often ?

I'm wondering if this is normal. I have my 811 connected via DVI to my Samsung DLP. Often, maybe about 1 in 5 or 6 times, if I turn the TV on when the 811 is already on the 811 switches to the screen that says its looking for the satellite, then downloads the guide. After this it works fine.
It seems to be triggered by the TV, because I can hear the sound from a tuned channel through the audio system, then it goes off when the TV is turned on until the 811 does its retuning dance.
My signals are strong, 101 for 110, 98 for 119 and 125 for 61.5.
I thought it was an IR code conflict where the TV remote "on" code was triggering this action, but it happened today when I used the power button on the TV itself. But the strange thing is it doesn't happen all the time.
Any ideas? Is this just typical 811 strangeness.
Gee I miss VOOM dbs. That Moto box was much better, as was the programming and P.Q. Quality over quantity.

Bob

I have the same issue

I have a Samsung DLP too and having the same issue. Then on Tuesday I turned it on and it couldn't aquire the signal. My non-HDTV worked fine.

I called support - and of course I was transfered all over the place and it took about 40 minutes to go through all the options. Then we unplugged the receiver to restart it and it never came back on - just crapped out. They claim it has gone bad and they are shipping out a new one. And yes, I miss the VOOM set up so bad. I had it for 8 months, not 1 issue - but I have called support for dish like 4 times since May. I don't even have VOOM now, becuase I won't put a second dish up...waiting to see what happens this fall.

Bobhaze- by any chance are you leaving it tuned to an OTA station. The TV has nothing to do with this. If you leave it tune off a SAT channel, the 811 looses its connection.
Davey - Yours sounds like a bad box plus tuesday DISH had satellite problems

Kevin,
Re: Leaving the receiver in OTA. That's what I suspected at first. Then as a result of turning on the sound system first when the 811 happened to be tuned to Animania I noticed that the receiver was apparently tuned in OK, then lost the signal a few seconds after the TV was turned on. This strikes me as very strange!

In a recent development, if I disconnect the DVI and use component this doesn't happen. Picture is OK too, but I wonder what will happen when and if Copy Protection is in widespread use. I'm concluding that something in the bi-directional communication of the DVI connection related to the HDCP is causing this. It's a minor nuisance when watching, but the real annoyance is that it screws up recordings when I turn on the TV after the recording has already started.

Bob

Let me chime in....same here.....no rhyme or reason. Each time I turn on Dish at some point the satellite will be lost. Today it lost the entire VOOM lineup on 61.5 but continued with all the other HD channels. Go figure! I'm afraid to call tech support after hearing the run-around you got. Glad I have cable as my 1st system of record now.Waiting for DISH to get better and it never does. At least VOOM is still there when the sat. is working.

Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one having problems. Ever since P2.89, the 811 will lock up (freeze video) and then soft reboot. Then it gets stuck in the aquiring signal phase. I usually have to do 2 or 3 HARD reboots to get the thing working again. I am living with it now, but am too afraid to call Tech Support.

The 811 is hooked up to a Mits 48413 through DVI (with HDCP) and through component. I usually turn the receiver off first then turn off the TV. I have not disconnected the DVI yet to see if this resolves the issue. Any ideas?

The 811 is one of the first ones...I got it back in December of 2003. Until now, this unit has never given me one problem.

Mark

Wdam33 said:
Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one having problems. Ever since P2.89, the 811 will lock up (freeze video) and then soft reboot. Then it gets stuck in the aquiring signal phase. I usually have to do 2 or 3 HARD reboots to get the thing working again. I am living with it now, but am too afraid to call Tech Support.

The 811 is hooked up to a Mits 48413 through DVI (with HDCP) and through component. I usually turn the receiver off first then turn off the TV. I have not disconnected the DVI yet to see if this resolves the issue. Any ideas?

The 811 is one of the first ones...I got it back in December of 2003. Until now, this unit has never given me one problem.

Mark

I also had mine connected up to DVI but I mainly watch through the components since they were ISF calibrated...we didn't do the component. Anyway, after reading the post above about the DVI, I disconnected mine and hopefully this would solve the problem. Someone else on a previous post said his installer told him that dish was having signal continuity problems with 110 and 119 with the P2.89 software. I'd like to believe that, but not everyone is claiming to have problems with freezes.

Mark

I don't have that problem. I'm wondering if the common factor for those that do is a connection to the 61.5 satellite?

Interesting, I never noticed that people who were having problems also had the 61.5 slot. Funny thing is, the 61.5 slot here at the house is very good. The installer actually took his time and really peaked this dish. I think the Dish500 dual could be repeaked slightly, though on my 2 301's the TP 11 and 12 for 110 and 119 are both above 100. The 811s readings are slightly less...but the signal strength is receiver dependent...so you are comparing apples to oranges there.

Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)