811-Audio dropouts with HDMI to DVI connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pinchhitter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Sacramento, CA
JUst wondering if anyone knows something about the following. I just purchased a 56" JVC HD-ILA tv with an HDMI input. I Bought the HDMI to DVI cable to connect the 811. I have to use RCA/analog jacks for audio from the 811 to the tv. The problem is I get herky jerky audio, dropping out every few seconds. If I leave the audio cables in, remove the HDMI to DVI connection and replace with the Component connection, the audio is fine. Anyone experience this?

I am hoping this will be cured when I upgrade to the new MPEG 4 receivers since my connection will ne HDMI to HDMI.

811 sound

We too have had some sound problems with our 811, we use the HDMI to DVI also and our LCD Phillips 32 FlaTV gives us only one inlet for sound with that connection, its the P/C sound connection! We have tired all of the other sound inlets, and nothing. When watching HBO etc, movies, the sound is very low and when turned up, gets scratchy. We tried to use the Component Video cables and still had to use the P/C Audio in with low volume. Could the 811 not have enough volume? We use our laptop to watch recorded programs via the Phillips and when we turn the p/c's sound up we have tons of sound out of the TV speakers.
I think the 811 has sound output problems, it is all of one month old, guess we will stand in line to replace it with one of the newer HD boxes.

I am going to test the HDMI connection in my tv with a just recently purchased HDMI up conversion Toshiba DVD player. If that works without any video dropouts, I can narrow it down to a possible issue with the HDMI to DVI connection. Also this could give me a preview on how it will be to hook up the new MPEG 4 receivers that have HDMI outputs and not DVI.

Well if you got HDMI to DVI I think you still half to use audio cables. I think the only way you can use HDMI without audio cables it to go true HDMI. So basically HDMI to HDMI but I might be mistaken due to DVI does not support audio.

My 811 refuses to work with my 55" Sony LCD when the 811 is set to 1080i output.
(it works at 720p but the picture isn't as sharp)

I have been in contact with dish advanced tech support on several occasions. Until last week, they finally admitted the 811 dvi has some grounding issues.
There is no software update that'll fix it, time for a different receiver.

New_User_Name said:
My 811 refuses to work with my 55" Sony LCD when the 811 is set to 1080i output.
(it works at 720p but the picture isn't as sharp)
I have been in contact with dish advanced tech support on several occasions. Until last week, they finally admitted the 811 dvi has some grounding issues.
There is no software update that'll fix it, time for a different receiver.

While the 811 could have some issues not previously covered in this forum over the past two years, your problem doesn't appear to have anything to do with the DVI connection. More likely is that your Sony won't accept a 1080i signal, only a 720p signal. That is not uncommon.

Carl B said:
While the 811 could have some issues not previously covered in this forum over the past two years, your problem doesn't appear to have anything to do with the DVI connection. More likely is that your Sony won't accept a 1080i signal, only a 720p signal. That is not uncommon.

My Xbox 360 runs 1080i on my Sony perfectly.
The 811 will display 1080i through the HDMI input if I do a hard reset of the 811. I lose the picture and sound (analog) when I turn the TV off and then back on again.
Dish advanced tech tried to blame Sony and claim they never heard of my problem before, now all of the sudden they say it's a known issue.

New_User_Name said:
My Xbox 360 runs 1080i on my Sony perfectly.
The 811 will display 1080i through the HDMI input if I do a hard reset of the 811. I lose the picture and sound (analog) when I turn the TV off and then back on again.
Dish advanced tech tried to blame Sony and claim they never heard of my problem before, now all of the sudden they say it's a known issue.

Sounds like you are doing a DVI to HDMI conversion to get the signal from your 811 to your Sony DTV. Some DVI/HDMI converters have been problematic. Something about some of the converters attempting to under or over convert (there are numerous posts in the AVS Forum in this regard). Perhaps this is what the Dish techs are trying to describe to you.

TTBOMK there haven't been any reports of an 811 having problems sending any of the selectable signal configurations via DVI to a DTV w/ a DVI input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts