811 delayed?

Jerry G

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
On another forum, in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316561

a participant is saying, "I don't think that the 811 or the 522/322 will be ready by mid Nov.".

On the recent tech chat, Nov 1 was given as the release date for the 811. Can anyone confirm that the 811 has been delayed?

On todays retailer chat they kept talking about the 811 but gave no release date and kept saying "when available"

The 522 / 322 will be available soon but for DHP customer only.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The 522 / 322 will be available soon but for DHP customer only.

I don't get this! I've been planning on upgrading my 508 to a 522 for months now. How does it make any sense to market this only to DHP subscribers? How could they possibly justify the R&D costs of this receiver and only sell it to a fraction of their subscriber base?!?!!

TimR><>

Tim,

I don't get this! I've been planning on upgrading my 508 to a 522 for months now. How does it make any sense to market this only to DHP subscribers? How could they possibly justify the R&D costs of this receiver and only sell it to a fraction of their subscriber base?!?!!

I suspect they have a limited supply of 522 units. They probably also want to move out the remainder of their 721 inventory -- which the 522 is set to replace. I suspect the 522 will be available to all customers early next year, if not sooner.

Jerry G said:

a participant is saying, "I don't think that the 811 or the 522/322 will be ready by mid Nov.".

On the recent tech chat, Nov 1 was given as the release date for the 811. Can anyone confirm that the 811 has been delayed?

I saw this too and it is completely unsubstantiated. I have seen nothing to say that the expected Nov. 1 release will not be met.

dmodemd said:
Jerry G said:

I saw this too and it is completely unsubstantiated. I have seen nothing to say that the expected Nov. 1 release will not be met.

I hope you're correct. I really get irritated when people post stuff like this without giving a substantial or believable reason for making such a statement. All it does, if not true and substantiated, is add to already existing frustrations as we await the release of these products that have already been delayed and postponed for so long.

Makes no sense to run out of 721's before the 522's are allowed to be sold to people that want it that does not have DHP.

811 will probably be later than Nov.1st DHP has been delayed until Nov 15th. Both Jim and Charlie said equipment was in house and being tested. My feeling was limited quantities and slow release to check out software. 522 will be at least a month and probably will be released slowly through DHP to check out software.

Reminds me of a sign in I saw on the wall in a sign shop:

Speed, Quality, Price.
Pick any two.

If they need to detract a bit from "speed" to keep the other two on track....let 'em have it....

The 811 is a pretty simple unit. It really is a newer 6000, no DVR software issues to worry about, and only one tuner. I don't see any complications there except for the feeds of program info for ALL OTA digital stations! But you can release the 811 without all that done, just some blank program info (which is what we have now anyway!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts