811 - Do you like DVI or component better?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I have my 811 (firmware 265) hooked up to a Samsung 50" DLP. I've tried looking at both component and DVI to see which I like better. Tried playing with the Samsung picture settings on each input to make them similar. Three of us seem to have a hard time picking out a favorite picture between DVI and component. My 21 year old son likes component better, but I think that is because it seems just a little brighter or more colorful at the same Samsung settings.

So, I think we basically have pretty much of a tie in our perception of picture quality from the 811 with maybe component squeezing out DVI. Which do you find better?

Thanks

Jeff

Hands down, not even close, DVI. HD picture is probably a wash, but I find the SD to be night and day better on DVI, and I have a RPTV! Guess it all depends on the scalers.

I have a 61" Sammy and I can't tell much if any difference between DVI & Component for HD. All SD material sucks because of the dark picture issue but DVI and Component are better than S-Video for SD.

I have a Hitachi 51S500 and think I prefer the DVI over component personally. I agree with the above posts that it impacts the SD more than the HD...

In using the DVI for sd picture are you not having to use the 811's stretch? I find my Mitsubishi stretch provides a better image,(ie. not frumpy), and keep going back to (ack!) svideo.

I use the 811s strech and it works fine for me - my TV (Hitachi 51S500) may do a little better, but the trade-off in picture quality is worth it for me.

DVI is better!

03-D.jpg

I've read elsewhere that some folks have seen a big DVI improvement using a high quality (high cost) DVI cable. I'm using a $12 cable from a computer store. I wonder if that is why I don't see an improvement using DVI over component on my 811.

ride525 said:
I've read elsewhere that some folks have seen a big DVI improvement using a high quality (high cost) DVI cable.

The 811 is DVI-D (digital only, not analog). If the display is receiving the digital stream from the 811 without errors over your $12 cable, you could put in a triple gold plated diamond studded NASA approved $1000/foot cable and it won't make a d*mn of difference.

Question: 811 - Do you like DVI or component better?
Answer : No. Both suck.

Keith.

ride525 said:
I've read elsewhere that some folks have seen a big DVI improvement using a high quality (high cost) DVI cable. I'm using a $12 cable from a computer store. I wonder if that is why I don't see an improvement using DVI over component on my 811.

Save your money. This is a digital signal. Your $12 cable will provide just as good a picture as their $200 one. The folk's who claim otherwise are only blowing smoke to cover the large hole in their collective wallet :smug

NightRyder

DVI is just a smidge better than component.

Of course I only paid a buck for my DVI cable on ebay.. so who is complaining.... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)