811 Favorites Becoming Corrupted?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aspanjer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I am on my 2nd 811, on the first box the ability to set up favorite channels became corrupted. I spent about an hour on the phone with a E* technical guy, and finally he decided to send me a second box due to a 'software corruption issue'.

I got the 2nd box about 3 weeks ago and now the same thing has happened again. I think in some weird way this is related to the OTA channels and they way the 811 handles them. In both cases before the favorites got corrputed weird things happened in the program guide with the OTA's ..

Has anyone else had this occur? I really dont want to spend another hour on the phone with them.

I wish they would just go ahead and lease me another 942, that box is great. But E*'s policy is only one per household.

aspanjer said:
I am on my 2nd 811, on the first box the ability to set up favorite channels became corrupted. I spent about an hour on the phone with a E* technical guy, and finally he decided to send me a second box due to a 'software corruption issue'.

I got the 2nd box about 3 weeks ago and now the same thing has happened again. I think in some weird way this is related to the OTA channels and they way the 811 handles them. In both cases before the favorites got corrputed weird things happened in the program guide with the OTA's ..

Has anyone else had this occur? I really dont want to spend another hour on the phone with them.

I wish they would just go ahead and lease me another 942, that box is great. But E*'s policy is only one per household.
If you get OTA digital channels and have any of them programed into a favorite list and the stations PSIP changes (like one of the stations in my area), your favorites list will get toasted. It is a known bug in the software and the engineers are hopefully getting it fixed.

Thanks for that, i just wish the E* tech guy would have advised me not to put the digitals in the favorites, you are right it is now toast.

I wonder if I should call them and ask for another 811 or just let it go? It is a pain not having the favorites list.

I think if it's a 'pain' to have no favorites list, then you should go ahead and call E*, get the runaround for about an hour, and get a new box. You have to decide if an hour of your time is worth getting a favorites list (without ota channels, I might add).

This is a known issue with 287. It is actually discussed in some length in the thread below.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=415055#post415055

Post 139 is where i describe how it reproduced on my box. Swapping boxes will not fix the problem.

The corruption seems to be triggered by PSIP data changes from what I can tell. I am pretty confident a new version of the software will be out soon and hopefully it will have a fix for this one. My feeling is that this was introduced when the favorites list was expanded.

I've had a similar problem with my 811 favorites locals list.

When it messes up simply reset to the factory defaults and re-enter your favorites - takes about 10 minutes to ad all my fav lists.

fred

Fredinva said:
I've had a similar problem with my 811 favorites locals list.

When it messes up simply reset to the factory defaults and re-enter your favorites - takes about 10 minutes to ad all my fav lists.

fred
Very good advise. It works for me. I sure hope that the new software is a fix for this.

A fix I think - finally

The only way i found to fix this is to leave OTA's out of the favorites list. Restoring to default did not clear out the corrputed files. Neither did unplugging the 811 and leaving it for an hour or two.

The only thing I have found that works (finally) is to hold the power down for 11 seconds. A Technical guy at DISH had me do this (he said 11 and that is what I did) and it worked. I am still on 287, wondering when 289 will be downloaded to my system.

Here is what I had to do.

1) Did a factory reset..
2) Hard Reboot. (Pulled the plug)
3) OTAs where gone now, Favorite lists were gone, however, the HD list that disappeared reappeared after a reset to factory defaults.
4) Did another factory default reset and the box was back to normally.

Holding down the power button for a count of 11 ( I use 15) does what is called a soft reboot. To clear everything out it took me two factory default resets.

I lost my favorites. Read out was garbled. I reset the receiver to Factory Defaults and the problem went away and Favorites has worked ever since.

did 289 fix this problem?

has anyone tried to put ota's in the favorites list with the 289 update, anyone brave enough. i wonder if 289 fixed this bad bug?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)