811 going to sleep - dish logo

ttenn

Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I just got a 811 and hooked it to a Tivo to record SD programming. However, I am having a few problem.

1. It turns itself off every night. This is ok, I can live with that. I created a Auto-tune timer to tune to a specific channel at 6:00 am every day. That way, it turns itself back on at 6:00. Problem worked around....

2. After a few hours (sometimes it is one hour, sometimes a few hours), the receiver goes into a "sleep" mode. The picture changes to the dishnetwork logo that bounces around the screen. It says "push Select to continue". This one I haven't figured out. Is there any way to get it to quit doing this?

Dish customer support says it is supposed to do this a few hours (he said 6) after you turn it on because it thinks you aren't watching anymore. I have had this happen to me about an hour after I changed the channel and started watching a program. My Tivo cannot change the channel when this logo is on because my Tivo doesn't send a "Select" code. Also if Tivo was recording, it wouldn't know if the logo came on, so it records the sleep screen.

Any way around this one?

Tom

Hi, welcome to satguys!

Are you sure you're talking about the right receiver? I'm pretty sure the 811 doesn't have the bouncing logo.

But the one way I know to turn his off is to go to setup > updates > and turn nightly updates off. This wont upgrade your guide, but you're using a tivo so it wont matter.

ttenn,

Could you post the software version (press SYS INFO on the front panel of your receiver) and let us know what it says? This is the 811
lg_dish811.jpg
and the Sys Info button is to the right of the Power button. If, by some odd chance, doesn't look like your receiver, you need to talk to your installer! :shocked

Yes it IS the 811. It definately HAS the bouncing logo. Here is the info:

Model: Dish 811
Software: P284LAND-N
Bootstrap: 1013LAND

Does that help?

So, turning off automatic updates will stop the logo?

ttenn,
You've got the same Software as the rest of us 811 owners. I've never seen the bouncing Dish logo, but I use the Component outputs, not the S-video/composite outputs. I don't see where in the 811's menus to try BFG's suggestion about disabling Nightly Updates to the guide. My 811 has never shut off on its own, either.

My software version is P284LADD-N and Bootstrap is 1013LADD, but that ("D" vs. "N") shouldn't make a difference. If nobody here at SatelliteGuys figures it out, you might check over at DBStalk.com

I can't find how to disable nightly updates, but I turned off the automatic system updates. (menu 6-1-2, I think).

Right now I have it running through Tivo to an old analog 25 inch TV through the RCA ?composite (yellow RCA) cable. Within the next week I will get a HDTV DLP monitor.... just trying to figure out which one.... but that's another thread for another forum.

I dunno. I have an 811. I have the logo. It turns itself off. DishNetwork (800-333-DISH) said it was supposed to do that. I'm not making this up. :confused:

ttenn said:
I dunno. I have an 811. I have the logo. It turns itself off. DishNetwork (800-333-DISH) said it was supposed to do that. I'm not making this up. :confused:
Wow! I have two 811's now, and I never turn off either one, and I have NEVER seen a bouncing logo. :confused: You must have some kind of prototype there. Sounds like a feature I DO NOT WANT!

I'll have to try that on mine. The 811 really doesn't every 'turn off', unless you unplug it. It just goes to a standby mode. In the standby mode, I know the composite output is still hot, but a black screen AFAIK--it keeps my rf modulator running all the time. Maybe it's just on the SD outputs.

I've never seen that on any of my 811's. They are never turned off(standby) and some don't even get a remote command for several days.

weird... when i had my 811.. Im pretty sure it had this version of software.. I had a Tivo hooked to it and NEVER did it turn itself off or have that Screeensaver...

on the 510 there is a "inactivity power off" option in the menu. Does the 811 have this? maybe under preferences or somewhere? that is my only suggestions other than that i guess you could jointhe 921 crew if you want to record HD, or get a 522 or 510 for SD programs. The 510 has this screen saver but records even though the output shows the screen saver. So i guess that is about all you can do if there is no way to turn off the screen saver in the menu.

There isnt a way to have the tivo turn on and off the 811 is there?

hmmmmmm.. sorry im not more help

Hello, long time lurker, finally decided to register and post something.

I've had my 811 go to this screen saver, and everytime it's been at the Dish Home application when I've pressed select. Any chance TiVo is somehow putting the 811 into Dish Home?

I've also had problems with my 811 shutting off, but I think I tracked that to a neighbor with an 811 on the same remote channel, any chance of that being the culprit here?

tk421, let me be the first to welcome you to SatelliteGuys!

I was thinking something similar, he was either timing out in the Dish Home application, but I hadn't thought that his Tivo might have changed it to channel 100. More likely ttenn's neighbor has Dish and their remotes are set to the default address.

I even wondered if maybe ttenn had a 301/5xx plugged into one of the 811's back panel inputs and that's how the 811 showed a Dish screensaver.

Thanks foxbat!

Yeah, the more I think about it, I wonder if the TiVo is missing digits on channel changes and that is putting it onto channel 100...ttenn, what speed are you using for your TiVo channel changes?

Tk421

As TiVo uses know TiVo has several IR codes (with three speeds; fast mid slow) for each code. Yes from past problems I noted some codes will drop a digit when signaling the Dish box. After changing TiVo IR code my 2 Tivos which are run from separate dedicated 301 boxes had no further problems. So you might go to the TiVo set up and try/test the various codes.

Also you might try "TiVo Community Forum" were Dish TiVo users have posted answers to problems like this one.

ttenn, I've attached a small MPEG4 movie of my 811's screen saver from the Dish Home OpenTV app. (download to your system, rename to .mp4, then open with Quicktime) On your Tivo'd recording, do you have any audio? On mine, I get whatever muzak Dish uses to background the DishHome application.

Attachments

• P2250052.MP3
    122.4 KB · Views: 170
Nope, nothing plugged into the 811 except the OTA antenna feed directly from the attic and the dish coax. I had turned off the autoupdate, thinking I had it fixed. However, I came home today and the screensaver was back on. First time in a while. I do have a 501? (PVR) in another nearby room, but I never turn that one off with the remote. It turns itself off too. I'll try changing the remote frequency to see if that works. But I have never had it change channels while I'm watching it.

tk421 said:
Thanks foxbat!

Yeah, the more I think about it, I wonder if the TiVo is missing digits on channel changes and that is putting it onto channel 100...ttenn, what speed are you using for your TiVo channel changes?

I think it is the 10010 Medium. Not for sure from the computer. It is the one I got off this board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts