811 gone crazy!!!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I received the new download last Thursday. Since then I have to reboot at least twice a night. I have no channel info past 1 hour without rebooting. When I turn the 811 off and then back on later there is no channel info.

However, now I can switch between an OTA channel & Dish channel and not get any errors and they actually change to the right channels. This is as long as I do not try to do this thru the menu. If I use the menu I can loose the picture, the sound or both just using the menu once!

Also, now when I am watching TNT-HD. Discover-HD HD-NET the picture freezes up about every 15 to 20 minutes and sometimes you have to reboot to get the picture back.

Last night I was watching a channel with a 76% signal and then all of a sudden it disappeared and the 49% showed up. The weather had not changed - the 811 just lost the signal.

Anyone else notice any of these things happening after the last download?

Yes, the guide data NO INFO stuff has happened often. Used to be even if that was there you could just sit there in the guide for 20 seconds or so and it would suddenly appear but now it doesn't even do that.

I notice it after using the Election application, but it could be happening even without using it.

You know it's nice that they added the OTA guide data and the Dish Home stuff. but I'd like to make a suggestion to the Dish 811 programming team......

STOP WORKING ON ADDING SH*T AND FIX THE DAMN BUGS!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank you, I feel better now. ;)

NightRyder

I hadn't noticed immediately after the 2.82 download but now I do notice that the guide data goes out, at best, to only 2 hours. Wasn't that bug fixed in 2.65 or something way back?

Pretty frustrating, but my year contract is up soon and ebay is looking pretty good for dumping the 811 :)

I hope Dish don't start writing software code for anti-lock braking systems.

NightRyder said:
You know it's nice that they added the OTA guide data and the Dish Home stuff. but I'd like to make a suggestion to the Dish 811 programming team......

STOP WORKING ON ADDING SH*T AND FIX THE DAMN BUGS!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank you, I feel better now. ;)

NightRyder

Congrats, NightRyder! This is the post of the year!

For 2004 and every year since 1996, since your sage advice applies to every receiver released by Dish, right back to the model 2000.

Is anyone that is having problems with their EPG (electronic program guide) using channel locks? Just wondering, because I was having problems starting with P2.69-280, but after getting 280 I decided to get rid of channel locks and my guide started working right. Haven't had any problems with it since. Don't know why, but I know that it works like it is supposed to now. Also haven't been getting blanked out video and audio anymore, or mis-mapping of the channels. (knock on wood!!!)

The only thing I'd like to see fixed is the Favorite list capacity to be fixed, everything else is ok with my 811. First time since I bought it back in late Feb. that I can say that the majority of the problems that I've had are now fixed. Of course Dish could always do better. Let me say this much this is probably the last receiver that I will ever buy from them again!

I have no guide problems but I don't use the OTA part of the 811. What I do have is the flippin video and audio freeze/stop motion bug that occurs at least 2 to 3 times every half hour when watching TNT-HD.

I still maintain that root of many of these problems stem from poorly designed or defective hardware components and that Dish is trying, unsuccessfully, to patch or cover them up with software changes.

NightRyder

keith said:
I hadn't noticed immediately after the 2.82 download but now I do notice that the guide data goes out, at best, to only 2 hours. Wasn't that bug fixed in 2.65 or something way back?

Pretty frustrating, but my year contract is up soon and ebay is looking pretty good for dumping the 811 :)

I hope Dish don't start writing software code for anti-lock braking systems.

Same problem with the guide, about two hours out at best. It was fixed but the problem is back again since the last update

NightRyder said:
I have no guide problems but I don't use the OTA part of the 811. What I do have is the flippin video and audio freeze/stop motion bug that occurs at least 2 to 3 times every half hour when watching TNT-HD.

I still maintain that root of many of these problems stem from poorly designed or defective hardware components and that Dish is trying, unsuccessfully, to patch or cover them up with software changes.

NightRyder
You mean that your guide shows a day ahead?

Bulldog said:
You mean that your guide shows a day ahead?

Yep. I was Just looking through it and I could jump ahead about 40 hrs last night before I reached the end of available data. This was right after I first turned it on. The only time I get the downloading guide message anymore is if I forget to turn it off at night or after a reset.

No OTA and configured for Dish locals in the guide setup.

NightRyder

I don't remember who said it but I heard that the ability to load firmware easily promotes sloppiness in the coding. Someone who knows that what they send out is not going to be re-loadable without a trip to the shop has to put their heart into it or else they get a massive return of the product and huge profit loss.

I've had the same problem since the new firmware upgrade where the program guide is populated, if i'm lucky, up to 2 hours out. Otherwise there is no info.

Monday night I had a problem with going to the program guide. Everytime I went to it, the receiver would start to download content info. It hasn't done it since.

Paul

Just curious. Is anyone that is having problems with the 811 guide not using the OTA part of the receiver?

NightRyder

The OTA guide remapping is nice, but my 811 puts the guide info on the wrong OTA digital sub-channel. As example, my local ABC affiliate carries "ABC News Now". The ABC guide info remaps to that channel, instead of the main ABC channel. But at least its in the the same neighborhood now! :D

NightRyder said:
Yep. I was Just looking through it and I could jump ahead about 40 hrs last night before I reached the end of available data. This was right after I first turned it on. The only time I get the downloading guide message anymore is if I forget to turn it off at night or after a reset.

No OTA and configured for Dish locals in the guide setup.

NightRyder

I'll call "E" and see what the deal is. I have rebooted it and I still only get two hours at the most. I did have this problem fixed two updates ago and now it is back. I have one of the early 811's since last December. Maybe I can get a exchange. I'll be a free agent in December when my one year commitment is up, maybe that will help me to get a replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)