811 Guide Issue

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
A couple of months ago, Dish installed V 2.81 on my 811 receiver. I've noticed that 2.82 went out, and flopped, and 2.84 is now out to fix 2.82. Meanwhile, I'm still stuck with the bugs of 2.81. The major issue is that the guide gets "corrupted" after a while and only shows the next 1.5 hours of data. The only way to fix is to reboot the box. Further, when watching OTA for a while, pressing guide attempts to load a guide, then forces a 5 step check, then, eventually, brings up a guide.

Why, after this box has been out so long, can't a feature such as a Program Guide, not work???

Also..while I'm here...I use the audio tones to re-peak my dish. I cannot rely on the 811 tones to do so. Sometimes I get audio, sometimes I don't.

Because they hire the cheapest engineers available. You can only dream unfortunately that they can figure this out sometime soon. I have the same problem. I even turn the box off at night (supposively helps) but lucky if I get 1 hour in advance, biggest piece of junk out there besides the 921 and 522, lol.

I agree, I feel like a human gunea pig. A beta tester. I cant get squat on my guide, no local info, and still stuck w/ v 281. Im thinking about voom very seriously and I have been with dish 7 yrs. BP

I would suggest you wait until 284 downloads on your box and then see
if things get better, I have 284 on one unit and still have 281 on the other unit, and I can say 284 "seem" to have really stabilized the unit, I really can't say I've had any problems since it was installed. Did just check and had
just over 2 days of guide info. No doubt this has not been a pleasant
experience dealing with all the nagging bugs!!!

mikew said:
A couple of months ago, Dish installed V 2.81 on my 811 receiver. I've noticed that 2.82 went out, and flopped, and 2.84 is now out to fix 2.82. Meanwhile, I'm still stuck with the bugs of 2.81. The major issue is that the guide gets "corrupted" after a while and only shows the next 1.5 hours of data. The only way to fix is to reboot the box. Further, when watching OTA for a while, pressing guide attempts to load a guide, then forces a 5 step check, then, eventually, brings up a guide.

Why, after this box has been out so long, can't a feature such as a Program Guide, not work???

Also..while I'm here...I use the audio tones to re-peak my dish. I cannot rely on the 811 tones to do so. Sometimes I get audio, sometimes I don't.

The acquiring signal problem is well known. Is also in the 6000. I have 2.84 and the frequency that it has occurred as decreased to the point I don't remember the last time I have seen it occur when bringing up the EPG. There is a "No Info" issue with 2.84 that I have seen occur twice that requires a soft reboot to clear up.

I think there was also and fix on the signal pointing, but i am not sure what version it was in.

As to the previous rock throwing responses, I am sure they have more insight into Dish's development organization than I do given there responses. (Did I say that with a straight face? ;) >

here, here!
2.81 here also awaiting 2.84, hoping guide issue will clear up. customer-no-service said I have to turn my box off at night to recieve updated program guides (which I insisted that I do power down at night. I guess they think I must be powering off incorrectly lol).

vsvier said:
here, here!
2.81 here also awaiting 2.84, hoping guide issue will clear up. customer-no-service said I have to turn my box off at night to recieve updated program guides (which I insisted that I do power down at night. I guess they think I must be powering off incorrectly lol).

I would not be too enthusiastic about 2.84. While the OTA channel switching bug seems to have been taken care of for the most part, I am still getting the 'no info' bug in my guide at least 2-3 times a day. It has happened every morning when I turn it on for the last 3 days and a few times in-between when going to the guide. This is a particularly frustrating one becuase I cannot even hit the guide button to go to other lists. I have to hold the power button down and soft reboot...then the whole aquiring signal thing has to be sat through. :no

oak

Oakenshld said:
I would not be too enthusiastic about 2.84. While the OTA channel switching bug seems to have been taken care of for the most part, I am still getting the 'no info' bug in my guide at least 2-3 times a day. It has happened every morning when I turn it on for the last 3 days and a few times in-between when going to the guide. This is a particularly frustrating one becuase I cannot even hit the guide button to go to other lists. I have to hold the power button down and soft reboot...then the whole aquiring signal thing has to be sat through. :no

oak

2-3 times a day. That is the most I have heard for this one. Maybe your configuration can lead to some clues. Can you elaborate more on the type of set up you have, signal strengths, etc. This "no info" seems to be the nasty in 2.84. I personally have gotten it twice since 2.84 so it is not a major headache for me but 2-3 times a day would be frustrating. What is your Boot version? How long have you had this unit. I assume you have RG6 going to it. Any info might help to clue into the root cause.

WeeJavaDude said:
2-3 times a day. That is the most I have heard for this one. Maybe your configuration can lead to some clues. Can you elaborate more on the type of set up you have, signal strengths, etc. This "no info" seems to be the nasty in 2.84. I personally have gotten it twice since 2.84 so it is not a major headache for me but 2-3 times a day would be frustrating. What is your Boot version? How long have you had this unit. I assume you have RG6 going to it. Any info might help to clue into the root cause.

WeeJavaDude, I will get all of that info posted here when I get home. I can tell you I have had the unit for 10 months and I do have RG6 from the dish to the diplexer and from the diplexer to the diplexer(at the 811), I am pretty sure I have it from the diplexer to the (2) 811 (ant and sat) inputs as well, but I'll check that too.

Thanks for your help,
oak

I get the No Info on some DBS channels when I turn the 811 on in the morning, if, and only if, I inadvertently left it on an OTA channel when I turned it off the night before.

Carl B said:
I get the No Info on some DBS channels when I turn the 811 on in the morning, if, and only if, I inadvertently left it on an OTA channel when I turned it off the night before.

I've gotten the No Info issue on some DBS channels too. It has only occurred twice since P284, but the last time I got it I was (definitely) on Discovery Channel 182 for a few hours.

WeeJavaDude said:

WeeJavaDude,

Well I went home and checked all of my cables (about 12 in all with the diplexers and splitters for OTA), and all were marked RG6, with the exeption of one. The cable going from the diplexer nar the 811 to the OTA input od the 811. It LOOKED like RG6, but had no markings. I went to my bag of cables (you know the one, everyone here has one :) ) and I got a RG6 marked cable and replaced the unmarked one. Guess what, not a single 'no info' bug since the replacement. I'm not saying it is fixed for good, I have too many sad stories to say that yet, but for now, it looks OK.

Thanks for reminding me of that and for everyone experiencing the 'no info' bug ona regular basis, check you cables!! If it does have RG6 on it, dont assume it to be so.

oak :D

Oakenshld said:
WeeJavaDude,

Well I went home and checked all of my cables (about 12 in all with the diplexers and splitters for OTA), and all were marked RG6, with the exeption of one. The cable going from the diplexer nar the 811 to the OTA input od the 811. It LOOKED like RG6, but had no markings. I went to my bag of cables (you know the one, everyone here has one :) ) and I got a RG6 marked cable and replaced the unmarked one. Guess what, not a single 'no info' bug since the replacement. I'm not saying it is fixed for good, I have too many sad stories to say that yet, but for now, it looks OK.

Thanks for reminding me of that and for everyone experiencing the 'no info' bug ona regular basis, check you cables!! If it does have RG6 on it, dont assume it to be so.

oak :D

Just call me WJD. ;)

Well I hope that does correct your issue. I did some testing over the weekend and I was able to reproduce a "No Info" issue by changing channels quickly on the EPG. However, by canceling and bringing up the EPG a few times the guide was populated again and I did not have to reboot. The EPG was not locked up. This might be different or just another version.

Since you were getting this 2-3 times a day. keep us posted if this cable change fixed things.

TomA said:
How do you know if you have 2.84 or whatever version?

I believer there is a sys info button on the front that when pressing it will tell you the software revision. This can also be found through the menu. I am at work so I don't remember how to get to it. I believe it is under the installation screen. How is that for definitive response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)