811 HD/SD auto switching???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bub

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Howdy, just got the 811 installed this morning after 6 cancelled appointments and many weeks delay.

I have a Mits 16X9 HDTV and what interested me about the 811 vs. the 6000 was the 811's ability to upconvert SD to 480p, which the 6000 would not do. I like this feature as the picture quality of the SD content upconverted to 480p and not 1080i is much better on my set.

My question is this, when I go into the setup to select 480p and 4X3 #1, I get what I want, upconverting the SD signal to 480p. The problem is when I then switch back to HD programming, the 811 now downconverts the 1080i signal to 480p, which is totally unnacceptable to me. Is there a way to force the 811 to 'switch' between these two modes automatically so that I could have SD content upconverted to 480p when that content is selected and have the HD content NOT be downconverted to 480p??? I hate to have to go into the setup everytime to switch between the two...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've only had the 811 for a couple of hours now but so far so good.

George -bub

bub said:
Howdy, just got the 811 installed this morning after 6 cancelled appointments and many weeks delay.

I have a Mits 16X9 HDTV and what interested me about the 811 vs. the 6000 was the 811's ability to upconvert SD to 480p, which the 6000 would not do. I like this feature as the picture quality of the SD content upconverted to 480p and not 1080i is much better on my set.

My question is this, when I go into the setup to select 480p and 4X3 #1, I get what I want, upconverting the SD signal to 480p. The problem is when I then switch back to HD programming, the 811 now downconverts the 1080i signal to 480p, which is totally unnacceptable to me. Is there a way to force the 811 to 'switch' between these two modes automatically so that I could have SD content upconverted to 480p when that content is selected and have the HD content NOT be downconverted to 480p??? I hate to have to go into the setup everytime to switch between the two...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've only had the 811 for a couple of hours now but so far so good.

George -bub

As far as I know, the 480P, 720P and 1080I mode is only on the component and DVI outputs. Composite and S-Video are always outputed at 480I. The 811 is not designed to auto switch HD-SD, although it sounds as if it might be a cool idea. The problem would be for the 811 to know if it is receiving an HD signal. I'm not sure that a signal is encoded in the transmission from the originator.

I think that the 811 can detect the kind of signal that it's getting. For example I have a toshiba 65HX81 and I have set the 811 to stretch the SD signals but not the HD signals. When I go from an SD station to an HD station, the stretched picturel is displayed as 'normal'. When I go back to an SD station, the normal picture becomes 'stetched'. That can happen only if the 811 is able to detect what kind of signal it is getting and adjusts the output accordingly.

I completely agree that they need to add this feature. I have a universal remote (Sony RM-3000 I think) and have programmed a macro to switch between the two modes. I hit one button and it switches to 1080i and another button switches to 480p. Of course, it takes roughly 3-4 seconds for it to go into the menu, make all the changes, and then back out.

As Franzius points out, the 811 appears to be able to sense what type of signal it is receiving because you can assign seperate aspect ratio settings for HD signals and 480i signals. Also, I would think any device with a line doubler would have to "know" what type of signal is being received because they would be treated differently. For instance a 480i signal would be converted to 480p, 720p, or 1080i, depending upon your settings, but a 1080i signal should completely by-pass the line doubler if you have it set to display 1080i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts