811 HD sound issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adawhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Denver, Colorado
(Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere - I did a search but found nada).

My 811 is having sound issues on the HD channels. When I switch from an SD to an HD channel, the sound drops out randomly for 1/2 second or so. Almost a "skipping" issue. There are no problems with the video, just the sound.

I have the sound into my audio receiver with an optical cable. I have checked all the connections and cables and they are fine.

Is this a known issue or am I just lucky?

Thanks for any suggestions to keep my wife from bitchin' at me about "my damn TV". :p

It takes most A/V receivers 1-2 seconds to detect and lock onto a Dolby Digital signal. So when you switch from a stereo channel to a DD channel, it has to obtain a lock. There are very few receivers which switch almost instanteously, nearly all need a little time to lock in.

Thanks. I will check to see who made mine. I agree that it certainly takes a couple seconds for the sound to kick in - my issue that that after there is sound, it will drop out for 1/2 second a couple times every minute going forward.

Thanks to both of you.

I have a similar problem. When an HD program (CBS-HD West) swithches to an SD commercial, the sound drops out. When the commercial break is over, and the program resumes, it drops out again.

It shouldn't drop in the middle of your HD/DD program. I had an 811 for 6 months and this only happened a couple of times. That could be a bad connection. If you could use a different toslink optical cable and a different input on your receiver, then try that. I've seen intermittent problems fixed this way.

As to dropping out when it switches to a SD commercial and then again when it gets back to DD, this could be the DD to stereo to DD issue again. If the program switches audio modes, then your receiver will need to relock. If this is what is happening, then you can't do anything about it. When it is doing this, look at your receiver to see if it is switching between DD 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic. If it switching, then it will take a second or two to complete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)