811 Install Canceled!!

Ziuck

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
I had an appointment today to have my 811 installed. Got a call last night and was told none in stock and should be available next Monday and have the same appointment time.

After reading the news about the 811 do you think I should expect an 811 on Monday or am I SOL? :mad:

If you are a new customer and this is the initial install, then u should be fine. If you are existing, then I wouldn't bank on it.

I'm an existing customer and was rescheduled 6 times since I placed the order on December 3rd.
I finally picked up a used 6000 and cancelled the 811 last week...Four months should be way too long for a company to keep doing this...And they should AT LEAST give discounts for all of the time off work people like me had to lose...
Anyway...
Good luck!

I understand the desire to have the latest and greatest. On the other hand, the 811 is not very mature on the software side, and may have hardware design issues. So a delay may work out very well for you.

Got my 811 in December. 4 months later, STILL have junk dark images on all outputs, even DVI. If this does eventually get fixed in software, I will be a happy camper. But, given the timeline, 4 months to make the output brighter and it is still not there makes me more than suspicious that this is a hardware flaw and uncorrectable in software. Dish - prove me wrong!

EDIT - I also use a 301 and get great images from that, even though it is only SD and s-video, not HD and DVI. The 811 image quality is off the chart bad, but I admit that I am very particular about that.

Keith.

keith said:
I understand the desire to have the latest and greatest. On the other hand, the 811 is not very mature on the software side, and may have hardware design issues. So a delay may work out very well for you.

Got my 811 in December. 4 months later, STILL have junk dark images on all outputs, even DVI. If this does eventually get fixed in software, I will be a happy camper. But, given the timeline, 4 months to make the output brighter and it is still not there makes me more than suspicious that this is a hardware flaw and uncorrectable in software. Dish - prove me wrong!

EDIT - I also use a 301 and get great images from that, even though it is only SD and s-video, not HD and DVI. The 811 image quality is off the chart bad, but I admit that I am very particular about that.

Keith.

Please note that this is an opinion by one person, others, like myself, are getting fantastic all-around results from my 811. I have been a Dish user for 8+ years and what I have now is by far the best image quality I have seen.

As it's been said before, some folks are happy with the 811, others feel it's a POS. Just so you know it's not "one mans opinion" check this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10922&page=2

for this post from 'Kevin Texas':

I have just about had it with the 811. I am very close to dumping this junk they call hardware and move on to another provider. I spend over $100.00 a month for this service. What is wrong with me!!!!!!!

I have had the 811 since 12/30/04 I have had nothing but problems.

The most annoying is the guide. I have to do a hard-rest at least
3 or 4 times a week now get the guide to work. It either has no info
are the description is wrong.

Keep loosing the satellite signal and have to check switch.

Dark picture on HD stations.

Low sound on HD stations.

Some folks call these minor problems and live with them. Others like Kevin are tried of having to play games to watch TV, it should be turn it on and select a channel. So I'd say to look over all the threads concerning the 811 on this forum and www.dbstalk.com, see what folks are saying and decided if you want to take a chance of getting those problems/issues yourself.

rad said:
As it's been said before, some folks are happy with the 811, others feel it's a POS. Just so you know it's not "one mans opinion" check this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10922&page=2

for this post from 'Kevin Texas':

I have just about had it with the 811. I am very close to dumping this junk they call hardware and move on to another provider. I spend over $100.00 a month for this service. What is wrong with me!!!!!!!

I have had the 811 since 12/30/04 I have had nothing but problems.

The most annoying is the guide. I have to do a hard-rest at least
3 or 4 times a week now get the guide to work. It either has no info
are the description is wrong.

Keep loosing the satellite signal and have to check switch.

Dark picture on HD stations.

Low sound on HD stations.

Some folks call these minor problems and live with them. Others like Kevin are tried of having to play games to watch TV, it should be turn it on and select a channel. So I'd say to look over all the threads concerning the 811 on this forum and www.dbstalk.com, see what folks are saying and decided if you want to take a chance of getting those problems/issues yourself.

I agree. There are many people that are having problems with their 811 receiver(s). You can read many posts about the popular problems, etc. The bottom line is that you need to decide whether you want to take a chance. Will you have problems like some people? Maybe. Will you be completely satisfied with your 811? Maybe. I, one guy in the bunch, am satisfied (so far) with my 811. I have given it a good workout too. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.... :yes