811 isuues, viacom and charlie chat

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeffdan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
hello patriots,

i emailed ceo@dishnetwork.com last night. in the email i asked the following.

1. when would the issues of the 811 be resolved

2. what's the deal with viacom. will there be a blackout of viacom channels voiding my contract with the at60, at150, and at180 and showtime unlimited.

3. when could we expect more hd channels.

instead of email me some simple response, i recieved a call just about 20 minutes ago. john called and since there were so many imortant issues that need addressed in my email, he thought it would be easier to call.

the answer to the 811 questions.

1 software update will go out today. it should fix most of the problems but the dark screen on some tv's. they are tring to have another update by the end of the month but since this update was delayed, it might be also.

viacom answer

2. they are in heavy nogotiations with viacom even though the haven't signed anything as of this morning they will have it taken care before the blackout would occur. he couldn't say to much but told me an offer viacom submitted was on the talble that dish is srtongly considering. he said they 98% postive that there will be no interuptions in those viacom services.

hd progamming dance

3. the answer to the "when do we get more hd", was simple. he can't release that info but did tell me to watch the mar 8 charlie chat. they will be talking about all the new hd programming that might be available in the near future.

just wanted to pass on the ifo. and send a thank you to all of you on the forum for informing me aof these issuses. i also think it was commendable that dish did respond by phone and not by email.

just wrote what he told me while it was fresh in my head. if anything that john told me is true, and i think it is. let's hope the software update goes out today. that will tell me if he was blowing smoke up my #$#@@. if so, they might be without one more cutsomer. i've benn with them for almost ten years and have been really patiant but the 811 issues and viacom issues concern me greatly, as with all of you reading this.

i will say that when i got off the phone i was happy and left not worring about viacom. i have however, heard the update out today scam quite a few times.

jeffdan said:
3. the answer to the "when do we get more hd", was simple. he can't release that info but did tell me to watch the mar 8 charlie chat. they will be talking about all the new hd programming that might be available in the near future.

Where have we heard this before. I think the key is 'might be available' which really doesn't say much of anything. They 'might' add Starz-HD in the future, and then again they might not. I hate to admit it but when it comes to info like this I've come to like D*'s approach, don't say anything until you can order it.

Thanks for the info JEFFDAN. I hope they were honest about the software update and the Viacom issue. :D

The only uncarried HD that is out there isn't compelling enough for them to Carry it. Starz-HD barely carries as much HD as ESPN-HD. Cinemax-HD is really just a cheaper version of HBO. The West Coast feeds aren't worth the Bandwidth costs. INHD channels are owned by the Cable Monopolies. The Regional Sports Network HD Feeds are too limited to be of value to DBS.

The only thing out there for them to carry is really BravoHD, and I'm not too excited about that. I'm thinking that we will have to wait until TNT-HD launches before we see any movement.

Cyclone said:
The only uncarried HD that is out there isn't compelling enough for them to Carry it. Starz-HD barely carries as much HD as ESPN-HD. Cinemax-HD is really just a cheaper version of HBO. The West Coast feeds aren't worth the Bandwidth costs. INHD channels are owned by the Cable Monopolies. The Regional Sports Network HD Feeds are too limited to be of value to DBS.

The only thing out there for them to carry is really BravoHD, and I'm not too excited about that. I'm thinking that we will have to wait until TNT-HD launches before we see any movement.

Yep, Starz-HD barely carries HD but it's uncompressed compared to the SD channel, that would make it worth it for me. Cinemax will sometimes carry a movie before HBO does and I don't like having to wait a month or two to watch it in HD. If you lived on the west coast I would think that you'd have a different opinion on waste of bandwidth for the west coast feeds (if it was bandwidth why didn't E* carry the west coast feeds on 148 when usually only west coast folks could get it?). InHD, yep, DBS will probably never get them. Regional sports, tell that to a Chicago sports fan when Comcast will carry the regional channel in HD but DBS folks won't get it. Bravo-HD, don't you want to see the Fab 5 in HD??? TNT-HD, would be nice for some of the sports they do.

Bottom line is that everyone has their own thoughs on the subject, mine is I want all the HD channels that I can get! :D

rad said:
Where have we heard this before. I think the key is 'might be available' which really doesn't say much of anything. They 'might' add Starz-HD in the future, and then again they might not. I hate to admit it but when it comes to info like this I've come to like D*'s approach, don't say anything until you can order it.

I remember D* making announcements about "tripling thier HD content in 04". I dont remember be able to order it at that point. Am i missing somethin?

bsic said:
I remember D* making announcements about "tripling thier HD content in 04". I dont remember be able to order it at that point. Am i missing somethin?

Yep, you got me, I forgot that they did that for a change. But then again they didn't promise 50 HD channels on Superdish like a certain billionare did last year, and now you don't get any ;)

Remember-Charlie said something at the last chat about HD programing from Voom.

And the point?

Charlie says a lot of things... so do the CSRs. The problem is that Charlie now has the credibility of a CSR...

Chris

Cyclone: but TNT is way overrated in general IMHO. I mean they have no original programming except NBA games and NASCAR. How many NASCAR races do they even have 10-15? How many NBA games do they have? They just don't have the programming. FX has more original programming than TNT. To me, that's what it's all about original programming. Re-runs of TV shows and 5 year old movies don't cut it for me.

bruce said:
Remember-Charlie said something at the last chat about HD programing from Voom.

What he said was he would love to buy thier content from them. Never said it was a possibility at all. Just said they have a great product, and he'd like it. Thats it.

Not that it hasn't been said about every Chat for the last 18 months...but this one should bring really exciting news...

1) The additon of Sirius
2) Name based PVR
3) A revamped program guide
4) MLB Extra Innings (I hope)

I'm not even saying that TNT-HD is going to be a great value. Heck I doubt that they even carry 9 Nascar Races, and I doubt they'd have those in HD btw. This is more of a land grab for Transponder and channel lineup space than about quality programming.

I have no doubt West Coast ppl would rather have their feeds of HD channels, but do you think E* wants to use precious TPs for a 3hr delay?

Also my RSN has and HDTV channel, and does a really good job about carrying Oriols, Wizards, and Caps games in HD. But you'll never see it on E* until HD locals are also on the lineup. Just not enough TP room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)