811 Latest Fixes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
My observation is with DVI on a Pioneer Elite 630. Items I believe have been resolved or improved:

1)Menu EPG to two days and the Video on menu repaired. (Believe it or not this was my major complaint with this unit)

2) Remapping the locals to be next to the OTA digitals.
(Now I can see what is on my locals--Not as effective
as a menu on the OTA channel but better than nothing.

3) Colour more accurate on SD channels. (This might explain why some are seeing an improvement with S-VHS.)

4) No more wait for menu after watching OTA digital.
(This at first was my main concern until I learned that if you punched in a E* channel first and then went to the menu you did not have to wait most of the time)

5) There has been a resizing of the SD channels. (Once I figured out how to do this on my Pioneer the problem for me went away--so this resizing has basically not done much for my viewing.)

6) Audio dropout has been improved (However, it has not been eliminated. I used to get drop out 1 out of every 5 times I went to HDNET. It has happened only once since the upgrade.)

Things not touched at all?:

1) No menu for the OTA channels. (In my area CBS, ABC and FOX have multiple channels that show different shows. EXample--CBS here is 24/7 HD. In the morning and the evening on the first location .01 is the digital HD program and on the second location .02 is the analog program. If the analog program is national it will be upconverted to HD. If the analog program is not national a HD program different from the analog program will be on the digital location. Fox will show the local hockey games in HD on .01 and the Fox national programing on .02. ABC does tricasting during college playoffs (football and basketball)

2) You still cannot move between an OTA channel and an E* channel seemlessly by using the recall button. (You still have to input the channel you want to switch to. When you press the recall to go from an E* channel to the OTA channel and you have multiple locations on the channel it will not go back to the channel you were watching but to the highest location--Ex. 52.03 instead of 52.01)

3) You cannot successfully remap your OTA channels all the time. Some work--some do not.

4) As meantioned allready--the audio dropout bug on E* HD channels still shows up--just not as often.

5) No OpenTV yet. ( I will not use this feature but those who do will have to wait longer.)

6) The dreadded 49% signal lock out (While I still believe this to be a signal strength reception problem and not the 811 I have noticed that now the receiver will lock and show picture and audio at 60% and above instead of 65% and above. I can now watch the WB digital where before I could not.)

Items I would like to see done with the next fix:

1) I would really like to see a better flushing out of the OTA menu providing info on the local digital channels and the full function of the recall button.

2) I would like to see an implementation of the SD/HD button that would allow the 811 to change its output from the highest HD setting you have set to a 480p setting.

3) Total elimination of the audio dropout on E* HD channels. I hope this gets repaired before E* starts adding more HD stations. Seems like they will have some time to repair this one.

4) Improvement over OTA digital locking if possible. I do not know how much you can effect receiver sensitivity with software but if it can be improved lets improve it!

5) A new menu option that allows you to set the black level, white level, colour and tint of the output of the 811. I know that with DVI most sets allow for those changes but I like to change the input device and leave my tv settings alone.

6) OpenTv function--for those of you who will use it.

Overall I am very satisfied with the way the 811 is working now. My wife doesn't complain about the remote and the menu anymore and I really like my HD. Just hope E* can start delivering more HD content. Heck, I would really like to get USA 480p, Sci-Fi 480p and FX 480p. These will probably be know as USA-Widescreen etc., etc. These stations will be going live this spring and summer. Boy, I hope the new Stargate Atlantis is 480p!!

Software version P2.64 for the DISH 811 receiver.

This release includes the following changes and or features.

2 Day EPG, Local Channel Maps, Remote Teaching Mode ?

I have no idea what remote teching mode is.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Software version P2.64 for the DISH 811 receiver.

This release includes the following changes and or features.

2 Day EPG, Local Channel Maps, Remote Teaching Mode ?

I have no idea what remote teching mode is.

Remote teaching mode allows you to program secondary remotes with IR. The 811 remote is UHF-Pro and doesn't send IR to the receiver although it sends IR to TVs, Amps and VCRs. The teaching mode makes the 811 receiver itself echo IR when it receives a UHF command. So, somewhere on the face of the 811 an IR signal is transmitted and you can get your other remote to learn from it. This was needed for those folks that had an all-in-one remote and never had another Dish receiver other than the 811. My Sony AV3000 was programmed off of my 6000 remote and it works just fine with the 811.

The fix also did not include being able to record with a VCR using 811 timers. It was supposed to be included but Dish acknowledged that it was not. No reason given.

RJS said:
The fix also did not include being able to record with a VCR using 811 timers. It was supposed to be included but Dish acknowledged that it was not. No reason given.
It fixed my problem with the VCR, it used to give a black screen when I set a VCR timer. Seems to work now.

One thing Ive been noticing is bad guide data. If you hold down the ">" and zoooom forward in the guide, things get messed up. You'll either see the wrong show in the wrong time, or pressing "info" gives info on a different program.

I just got an 811, which downloaded 264, and svideo is not dark *at all*.
(and no, I don't have the brightness turned way up on the set....)

My latest problem is difficulty in turning off the close captioning...what a pain in the rear.......hate it.

A very simple software addition i'd like to see is a sleep timer.
If they already have a mechanism in place to change the channel
at a specific time, it seems like it would take about two minutes
to write an event timer that would generate a "power off" signal.

I'm confused about "local channel mapping". My OTA locals aren't mapping any differently under 264 than they were under 263. The only thing I saw was an option to have my E* locals re-stated w/ their local channel numbers in lieu of my having my OTA locals have their own low numbers.

snathanb said:
I just got an 811, which downloaded 264, and svideo is not dark *at all*.
(and no, I don't have the brightness turned way up on the set....)
Mine is still darker when compared to a 301 or 508.

MacKenzieIII said:
It fixed my problem with the VCR, it used to give a black screen when I set a VCR timer. Seems to work now.

It's strange that it would now because the Dish tech said the fix was not included in the 264 download.

811 Fixes ?

The only thing that is better with 264 on my 811 is the guide and it still is not correct much of the time. My ota is much worse, intermittent black screen on channels that have over 80% signal, lockups when going from ota to sat. Anyone else having these problems since 264? I didn`t have them before. Or is it that my 811 has a problem other than software?

zexel said:
The only thing that is better with 264 on my 811 is the guide and it still is not correct much of the time. My ota is much worse, intermittent black screen on channels that have over 80% signal, lockups when going from ota to sat. Anyone else having these problems since 264? I didn`t have them before. Or is it that my 811 has a problem other than software?
I too have the intermittant black screen on one channel with a 75% (most of the time) signel.
My guide works quite well most of the time and am fairly pleased with that improvement.

snathanb said:
When I get a chance, I'll move the 301 in there and do a split screen comparison.

Dark picture fixed. For some reason I had been using the DISH supplied S-Video cable with my 811. I have been using a Monster S-Vid* with the 301 or the 508. I swapped cables and both pictures are now equal as bright. The DISH supplied cable works fine with the 301. I wonder why this?

*DISCLAIMER
I AM NOT ENDORSING MONSTER PRODUCTS

Kevinw said:
Dark picture fixed. For some reason I had been using the DISH supplied S-Video cable with my 811. I have been using a Monster S-Vid* with the 301 or the 508. I swapped cables and both pictures are now equal as bright. The DISH supplied cable works fine with the 301. I wonder why this?

The E* cable is cheap!! There is a marked differance between using a very good S-VHS cable and a cheap one. Especially on video.

Question?---Why are there folks here trying to use the 811 with a S-VHS cable? Why buy an 811 if you do not have an HDTV?

If you have an HDTV why not use the componet input? I know there are at least two componet inputs on every HDTV manufactured in the last 4 years so the question begs again--why use S-VHS? Next to an RF cable S-VHS provides you with the worst possible picture!

Not only that--you can not transfer an HD signal completely over an S-VHS cable. You can only do that with three cables--Componet, Firewire, DVI. So, unless you are using the 811 to downrez and transfer a digital signal to a 480i picture to view on an anlog set you should not be using S-VHS.

And if you have to use S-VHS PLEASE throw away that dish cable--its junk!! Spend about $40 for a good S-VHS cable...go to the SHACK and get one. Your picture will improve greatly.

JoeSp said:
Question?---Why are there folks here trying to use the 811 with a S-VHS cable? Why buy an 811 if you do not have an HDTV?

Simply because Standard Definition looks better on the S-Video than on the component cables. When I watch SD on my TV from the component input it looks washed out. My s-video input is adjusted to to make Standard Definition look better.

BTW, it's S-Video, not S-VHS, which is a VCR term.

[
The E* cable is cheap!! There is a marked differance between using a very good S-VHS cable and a cheap one. Especially on video.
This doesn"t answer the question as to why the identical cable works for the 301 and 508 but not for the 811

DUH I have a HD TV, The stretch modes of the 811 are inferior to my TV's stretch modes when watching Standard Def TV..
If you have an HDTV why not use the componet input? I know there are at least two componet inputs on every HDTV manufactured in the last 4 years so the question begs again--why use S-VHS? Next to an RF cable S-VHS provides you with the worst possible picture!

I do use the component inputs- for HD viewing and wouldn't composite beeven worse than S-video( don't answer I know it already)
Not only that--you can not transfer an HD signal completely over an S-VHS cable. You can only do that with three cables--Componet, Firewire, DVI. So, unless you are using the 811 to downrez and transfer a digital signal to a 480i picture to view on an anlog set you should not be using S-VHS.

No SH*t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)