811 & Legacy LNB's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

asandova

Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Hi

I'm a newbie to HDTV, I wanted to get HD from Dish to get the best out of my new Panasonic HDTV. I wanted the 942 but I don't want to spend much money if MPEG-4 is around the corner. I've decided to buy an 811 for the moment. The question is if I can use my legacy LNBF's for the 811 or if need the Dish Pro LNBF's. Thanks and keep up the good work here. :D

asandova said:
I've decided to buy an 811 for the moment. :D
Instead of paying for a guaranteed obsolete piece of hardware, I chose to lease an $811 for $5/mnth with no commitment. As long as the mpeg4 changeover occurs before or about 2 1/2 years from now, you come out ahead.

rvsixer said:
Instead of paying for a guaranteed obsolete piece of hardware, I chose to lease an $811 for $5/mnth with no commitment. As long as the mpeg4 changeover occurs before or about 2 1/2 years from now, you come out ahead.
Maybe and maybe not. If you buy an 811 for say $200 and in a year or two they GIVE you a MPEG4 replacement. You will have saved a lifetime of $5 a month lease fees and gotten a newer technology for cheap. I doubt you can BUY an MPEG4 receiver when they come out for $200.

rcwilcox said:
If you buy an 811 for say $200 and in a year or two they GIVE you a MPEG4 replacement
I think you are the only one who knows for a fact the upgrade to mpeg4 will be totally cost free to current mpeg2 owners. Please refer us to your source for confirmation :D.

For $200, you can lease a receiver for up 40 months and it will be cheaper than having bought it (especially if and when your used one goes bad). 40 months is a long time in the technology arena, odds are you may want to/need to upgrade before that.

Just another point of view from someone with a closet full of expensive obsolete high-tech gear which would have been WAY cheaper to lease during the time of its usefulness.

rvsixer said:
I think you are the only one who knows for a fact the upgrade to mpeg4 will be totally cost free to current mpeg2 owners. Please refer us to your source for confirmation :D.

For $200, you can lease a receiver for up 40 months and it will be cheaper than having bought it (especially if and when your used one goes bad). 40 months is a long time in the technology arena, odds are you may want to/need to upgrade before that.

Just another point of view from someone with a closet full of expensive obsolete high-tech gear which would have been WAY cheaper to lease during the time of its usefulness.

He did not say he was SURE they would do an upgrade. He said that IF they do an upgrade. Let's not point crooked finger, ok? ;)

philhu said:
He said that IF they do an upgrade. Let's not point crooked finger, ok? ;)
Jeez, no finger pointing intended I just read "If you buy an 811...they GIVE you a MPEG4 replacement" differently than you :rolleyes:. Ciao.

rvsixer said:
Jeez, no finger pointing intended I just read "If you buy an 811...they GIVE you a MPEG4 replacement" differently than you :rolleyes:. Ciao.
I did say maybe it was cheaper to lease. What I was saying was also maybe it isn't cheaper to lease. I did not say that just because you buy a receiver that means they will give you one and I have no "confirmable source" but I know people and if you sell someone a receiver and Dish is asking like $349 or something like that for the 811 and then you want to charge them several hundred dollars more in three years or so many of those people will defect to cable or Direct or something. IMHO Dish will have to give or almost give you a replacement if the make your receiver obsolete. I am sure they will do this over time to minimize the short term hit but if Dish thinks people will shell out hundreds of dollars for the privledge of staying paying Dish customers they are dumber than I think they are.

rcwilcox said:
I did say maybe it was cheaper to lease. What I was saying was also maybe it isn't cheaper to lease. I did not say that just because you buy a receiver that means they will give you one and I have no "confirmable source" but I know people and if you sell someone a receiver and Dish is asking like $349 or something like that for the 811 and then you want to charge them several hundred dollars more in three years or so many of those people will defect to cable or Direct or something. IMHO Dish will have to give or almost give you a replacement if the make your receiver obsolete. I am sure they will do this over time to minimize the short term hit but if Dish thinks people will shell out hundreds of dollars for the privledge of staying paying Dish customers they are dumber than I think they are.
Okay understood, I read it too literally. If someone wants to go ahead and shell out $200 for a used 811 or $399 for a new one or later buy its mpeg4 replacement, when you can lease not only the 811 but also its mpeg4 replacement to its EOL for cheaper, imo does deserve to be taken advantage of :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts