811 loses satellite signal after viewing ota channels for extended period of time

will

Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Nashville TN
I apologize if this is not the proper forum for this question.
I am having problems with my 811 having to re-acquire the satellite signals after extended viewing periods of my ota channels. I have my ota antenna running through my 811.
If I watch an ota channel for an extended period of time or turn off my tv at night while leaving it on an ota channel, when I try to go back to a satellite channel in the morning, it always has to re-acquire the signal.
I was wondering if this is normal or is there something I need to check? Should I be turning off the 811 as well? I also seem to lose my viewing guide after extended viewing of my ota channels as well.
Thanks for any help anyone could provide.

will said:
I apologize if this is not the proper forum for this question.
I am having problems with my 811 having to re-acquire the satellite signals after extended viewing periods of my ota channels. I have my ota antenna running through my 811.
If I watch an ota channel for an extended period of time or turn off my tv at night while leaving it on an ota channel, when I try to go back to a satellite channel in the morning, it always has to re-acquire the signal.
I was wondering if this is normal or is there something I need to check? Should I be turning off the 811 as well? I also seem to lose my viewing guide after extended viewing of my ota channels as well.
Thanks for any help anyone could provide.

Mine does the same thing. Before I walk away from the TV I turn to a satellite channel. Overnight the box is turned off.

I used to have that problem on an older software release. Now the worst that happens when I leave it on an OTA for a long time is it has to reload the program guide.

What software version are you on? The latest should be 3.33.

cpdretired, glad to know I am not the only one. Guess I will have to start doing that each evening.

KyDave, I am new to all this so I don't know how to tell what version of software I have. It was a big step for me to hook up the ota. My motto so far has been if it's not broken, don't fool with it, though I am learning more every day :up

will, if you are a recent install you likely do have the latest version.

If you want to check the version anyway, the easiest way to check is to press the SYSTEM INFO on the front of the 811 - it is on the right hand side, just to the right of the POWER button.

I have been having a problem with my 811 for the last few weeks. I'll be watching an OTA program and the 811 will go to black for an instant. When it returns the program guide for both OTA and Dish will be gone. I then have to reload the guide program. It also happens overnight. I do leave the 811 on at night. Should I turn off the 811 power at night?

For those with aquiring Satellite problem after watching OTA for extended periods. Do not try to access the Guide. First key in a satellite channel number. It should go to that channel and shortly(exact time varies) thereafter allow you to go to the guide. The problem is the current and next program info in memory becomes obsolete and disapears when it is tuned to OTA. Tuning directly to a channel gets the receiver to a point where it can update that info, most times without the acquiring signal step. Of course, the guide will likely update when you select it.

If you change OTA channels frequently or do more than one channel scan without a reboot you may encounter the same problems. For me channel surfing the OTA channels (combination of digital and analog) for about 5-10 minutes will cause the box to hang. I never have trouble when channel surfing the SD satellite channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts