811 Losing birds, etc.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Craig Henrikson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
My second 811 has a few ongoing problems. First, it seems as tho I need to do a "check switch" at least once a day to keep things operating. For example, when I got up this morning the receiver only showed a signal from 119 degrees - 110 and 121 were missing. A "check switch" restored the missing birds, but I really don't think I should have to do this every day?? Second, switching back to satellite from OTA often brings up the "searching ..." message - and then the thing works after 20-30 seconds. Not fatal, but certainly annoying. This may be normal??? And, I "think" that the guide occasionally loses favorite program listings - anyone else had that??

Any thoughts??

Craig

The losing satellite thing could be from the 811 getting too warm/hot. When mine does that, it's heat related. I would have to unplug the unit, plug it back in and it would work. Make sure you don't have anything stacked above or below it. I had a DVD player underneath mine. Although I seldom turn the DVD player on, I guess it reflected heat as the bottom of the 811 got very warm. I moved it and have not had the problem since.

Switching from OTA to Sat making the guide search is common. Hopefully that will be fixed soon with a s/w upgrade.

Check switch every day is definitely not right. I have had mine since Mid December and have not run a switch test on it since the first day I had it. If you follow Harry's advice about not letting it get to hot and it still does it, I would contact Dish for a replacement.

My 811 was installed on January 13. I have to do a "check switch" routine about 2-3 times each week. From what I see on this and other forums, the problem is very common with the 811 and will be addressed in a *FUTURE* software update. I see a lot of the other 811 problems as well. The one that bugs me the most is the dark picture on movies (not on Discovery HD programs, though). I have my 811 hooked up via DVI and the picture is still dark on movies. I sure hope they get that one corrected at some point!
The HD picture on my 56" JVC is incredible when it is working. So, I remain patient!

Im on my second 811 and the losing Satallie problem is know by dish but at the time I spoke with someone in engineering (about a month ago) they were aware of it but had not located the exact cause. But both my 811's do have this issue and I havent noticed any relation to Heat because it happens allot when I first turn it on

Just talked to a very helpful CSR. After some checking he said they are sending someone out to check the multiswitch, grounding and other connections. He doesn't think it is the 811, since the previous one had the same problem. While this makes sense, we shall see. :rolleyes:

Craig

I havent noticed any relation to Heat because it happens allot when I first turn it on

In my situation, if I leave my 811 on I don't have to run the check switch. But, when I turn it off for the night and turn it back on the next morning, I have to run the check switch.

I feel it is not a heat related problem. I have had mine since they first released them and continue to have the check switch problem. The 811 is the only thing on the shelf and my house never get's above 70 degrees.

I do find that if I leave it off for some time first thing I get is a unable to locate 110 & 119 birds.

I have a new switch installed so I don't think it is that. There is for sure
some type of software bug.

I really wish the would get the guide fixed so it would show more than 8 hours.

Threre is also problems with the OTA. All of these problems have been talked about on this site

I just got my dish w/ 801 installed on Friday and have the exact "symptoms" as the OP. The first check switch message I got was yesterday when I first turned it on for the day. If it happens again I'll be calling dishnetwork pronto. I also have the annoying problem of it always searching when I am in the menu and it takes a good 30 seconds before I get control again.

Should I wait a couple of days or should I call dish now?

Thanks for everyones input!

yrac said:
In my situation, if I leave my 811 on I don't have to run the check switch. But, when I turn it off for the night and turn it back on the next morning, I have to run the check switch.

My 811 has developed the exact same problem over the last couple of weeks. I believe it is only the 110 satellite that I am losing. I don't think it is a heat issue as my 811 is on the top shelf of a completely open A/V rack.

I still like the 811, but it is pretty annoying.

I don't believe there is a lot we can do until they get the software updated. The problems we are having are software bugs.

I getting very tired of these problems. I have someone house setting for me and I will have to write out detail instructions on how to run a check switch.

Pretty sad that I have to do this. It is new hardware. They should have never released this product with all these problems. :mad:

I am alot more tolerant than my wife. Last night the 811 froze up on her,again,like almost every night. If it was her call, that 811 would be shoved up - well you get the idea... I don't understand how they can sell us junk that isn't working correctly and then just move on to another product(921) as if everything is fine...

Kevin_Texas said:
I getting very tired of these problems. I have someone house setting for me and I will have to write out detail instructions on how to run a check switch.

Can you explain what you mean by "how to run a check switch"? I've had my 811 for almost a month now and haven't had to do this.

redline65 said:
Can you explain what you mean by "how to run a check switch"? I've had my 811 for almost a month now and haven't had to do this.

I too have not had to do a check switch. Although I do have "aquiring sattelite" delays of about 30 seconds or so most times when pushing the guide button after watching OTA for more than 15 minutes or so. I wonder if this could be a LNB/Switch issue with the 811s. I have legacy Dual LNBs with 2 SW21 switches and have not had to run a check switch yet. Do the folks that are having to run it have Dish PRo equipment or other multiswitches?

Oakenshld said:
I too have not had to do a check switch. Although I do have "aquiring sattelite" delays of about 30 seconds or so most times when pushing the guide button after watching OTA for more than 15 minutes or so. I wonder if this could be a LNB/Switch issue with the 811s. I have legacy Dual LNBs with 2 SW21 switches and have not had to run a check switch yet. Do the folks that are having to run it have Dish PRo equipment or other multiswitches?

Maybe my setup doesn't involve a switch? I'm pretty ignorant about satellite hardware, but I think my installer put up a Dish Pro 500 with a quad LNB.

Oakenshld said:
Do the folks that are having to run it have Dish PRo equipment or other multiswitches?

I do have DishPro equipment. However, I only have to do it when I first turn it on (turn it off at night, turn it back on the next day). If it's left on, then I don't have to run a check switch.

Oakenshld said:

I also have legacy Dual LNBs with 2 SW21 switches and have not had to run a check switch since having the 811 installed a month ago.

I've had a similar problem on both 811's. So far we have replaced the LNBs (Dual dish 500), cable and the receiver but the problem continues to occur. Here's the twist in my story though. When it makes me run the check switch, it drops either 110 or 119. I haven't gotten both together for more than 2 days since I had the first unit installed about 3 weeks ago. To make things more interesting, I was only picking up 119 but I was having some friends over to watch that cage fighting on HDNet so we got desperate and decided to go outside and switch the side of the LNB that the cable was running into from input 1 to input 2. That did the job but we could only get 110. When switched back, only 119. Needless to say, I have complained to DISH (who of course have never heard of this kind of problem) and am not going to pay my bill until the issue is resolved. Maybe someone out there with more knowledge about these things than I could use this info to narrow down the switching problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)