811 more problems

Pils

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2004
I have numerous flaws on my 811 box, mostly due to software, PSIP, etc. But what I don't understand is a couple of OTA locals. They used to come in, and even on the right call station number. But now they switch numbers and a couple weeks ago my fox channels do not come in at all (Twin Cities 009-01, 009-02). They used to switch to a different number, can't recall what though. But they are no where to be found. I even delete all digital and save. Then pull plug and start scan all over and can not get them back at all, all other OTAs come in, just not fox. Well, had football on today and wasn't going to watch them on the crap SD channel, so I unplugged my antenna cable and fed directly to tv. Walla, my tuner built in the TV picks up the fox locals HD signal perfectly, why not the 811. And why do all my stations come in correctly on the tv tuner and not the 811. I get 11.01, 11.02 instead of the stupid dish 35-01, 35.02, etc.

On a side not, I have had a dish station (not over the air) disappear on this crap box as well. It was Fox Sports 436, but got that back by rebooting.

Do you have channel locks on by any chance? I have the sme issues happening on a receiver with 2.82 software. It just ends up randomly locking out channels. It is very frustrating.

No locks on it. Can't wait to see what P2.84 does, been waiting so hopefully it is released tomorrow. It is my b-day tomorrow so working 811 software would be nice.

Don't hold your breath for 2.84 which I have

OTA I currently get NBC digital without HD. This channel displays correct channel /staion number and guide info. I also get CBS cnannel 12 with HDTV 19-01, which seems to also have a fox channel on 19-02. These do not display the correct channel # 12 for CBS and do not display the station callsign (KCOY) At one time I did have CBS OTA displayed at 12-01 with KCOY alos displayed.

I checked today, and direct to my HDTV tuner both NBC and CBS display correct channel numbers and staion identifier.

Guess it's time to call Dish tech support. I wonder if they will tell me that no one else has ever reported this.

ctcohen04 said:
Don't hold your breath for 2.84 which I have

OTA I currently get NBC digital without HD. This channel displays correct channel /staion number and guide info. I also get CBS cnannel 12 with HDTV 19-01, which seems to also have a fox channel on 19-02. These do not display the correct channel # 12 for CBS and do not display the station callsign (KCOY) At one time I did have CBS OTA displayed at 12-01 with KCOY alos displayed.

I checked today, and direct to my HDTV tuner both NBC and CBS display correct channel numbers and staion identifier.

Guess it's time to call Dish tech support. I wonder if they will tell me that no one else has ever reported this.
I agree. I have the same issue here in the OKC market, where some of the stations show correct data in the EPG, and some don't, but all show good data in non-Dish receivers. I have P2.84, and it made no difference in EPG data.

I have complained to E* 811 engineers about this and they tell me its my local PSIP. First they told me I don't know how to operate the box but then I told them they don't even know how to make a box. But my buddies D* has them mapped correctly and so does my built in tv tuner. But I just don't know why two channels do not even appear on the 811. I have a vikes/packers game to watch next week and guess the 811 won't do for me.

I just got off the phone with "advanced tech support" and was told by Chris that there is not a standard and that some stations will work and some will not. I could easily be mistaken, but thought that the PSIP stuff was supposed to be standard. He said no. Finally left it that he would input the complaint and that "higher ups" in tech support would see it.

ctcohen04 said:
I just got off the phone with "advanced tech support" and was told by Chris that there is not a standard and that some stations will work and some will not. I could easily be mistaken, but thought that the PSIP stuff was supposed to be standard. He said no. Finally left it that he would input the complaint and that "higher ups" in tech support would see it.
Ahhh, more CSR "wisdom." Five pounds of that "wisdom" makes roses bloom sweeter and your veggies grow bigger, too.

PSIP is a standard mandated by the ATSC. You can search the AVS Forum and the Satellite forums to find a link to the actual PSIP specifications. It would be a much more accurate statement to say that every DTV station varies in the amount of information encoded in the PSIP. All this will change in the next month as all DTV stations must populate the PSIP with accurate data or face the wrath of the FCC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)